Is there such thing as too much shackle? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-07-1999, 04:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Is there such thing as too much shackle?

I finally found a set of lift shckles that come exactly in the length I want (5.5") but they seem almost overbuilt. They are "Bubba Grade" shackles manufactured by SFI (same people who make the Hypershackles) and are made out of 1/2" thick plate steel. I can't think of anything bad about having overly beefly shackles but I wanted to know if anyone else had experience or knowledge to the contrary.

Check 'em out at http://www.thinkjeep.com/prodmain/index45.html and let me know what you think! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

JolyonF
'93 YJ...in the works
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-07-1999, 08:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Is there such thing as too much shackle?

hey I dont have extended shackles but everything I have read and basically everyone I have taked to agrees that shackles above 1" will give a bad ride. but that is all I know about it.
hope this helps

post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-07-1999, 09:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Agreed, too long shackles can cause steering and other problems, but as far as being too beefy, I doubt it. I broke 2 stock shackles years ago until I bought the ConFerrs. Granted, the bar in the middle does limit articulation a small amount, but peace of mind is important too.

Brad (from the 4 Wheeling center of the universe, 4 corners USA)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-07-1999, 09:04 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Having shackles that long can cause all kinds of problems. I got my jeep and drove it 40 miles with a butch 4 inch shackle lift. At each stop light I would go and the Jeep would take turns launching into the lanes to my side. There was an extreme amount of wander. I felt unsafe with the set up and got confer 2 1/4 inch lift and everythig was fine. I wanted to have a jeep that was tall and safe. I think there will be problems with the drive shaft angles , but i didn't notice that as much as i feared for my life driving it like that. It might be because i have the original steering with a gazillion rods and links, but I just want to warn of the potential problems
Dan Stewart
1963 CJ5

post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-07-1999, 10:16 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] What Bubba failed to tell you was that installing extended shackles would tilt each axle and cause a whole new set of interesting problems. In the front, it puts angle on the driveline at the pumpkin where no angle was supposed to be, and it also radically changes the caster which is key to steering and handling. In the rear it changes the angle of the driveline at the pumpkin and screws up the cancellation effect between the two u-joints. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] We have had numerous discussions on this very topic on the old BBS, and I am amazed that a little didn't rub off on you. If you weren't around at the time....that lets you off the hook[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]. Both of the little moonguys [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]I checked with recommended that you give Bubba back his shackles, unless he has them for both ends of the spring. I swear that I am someday going to invent a hangar extension for the fixed end of the springs....it would be no big deal.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

CJDave
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-07-1999, 10:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the input. Yes, I agree that too long of shackles will give you major problems. That's why I'm only getting 5.5" (3/4" lift) shackles. Since it is a YJ the stock length is 4". I am well aware of the "wandering" feeling from tall shackles. When I bought the Jeep used it already had a 1.5" shackle lift on it and now I am getting away from that with a 2.5" OME and 3/4" shackle lift. I am more worried about making a relatively cheap part of my Jeep stronger than another...something may have to give eventually. Also, from the looks of stock shackles it seems like they almost want them to have some flex in them.

Well, I guess no major objections so far...I'm just about sold!

JolyonF [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
'93 YJ...in the works
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-07-1999, 11:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

hold up. 5.5"-4"=1.5" 1.5" of lift- but really only 3/4" cause only one side is lifted.

OK- so where does that not longer than 1" come in? the 1.5" longer- or the 3/4" lift? I am confused now since they advertise it as 1.5" of lift but really only 3/4" and the 1" of lift being .5"

So will 2" longer than stock be cool, or 1" longer than stock?
Or 1" of gained lift or .5" of gained lift?

Get what I'm saying?

post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-08-1999, 02:35 AM
Keyboard Implanted

They shouldn't advertise a 5.5" shackle as a 1.5" lift. It is 1.5" longer but only gives 3/4" of lift. Shackle lifts should only be used to gain a last little bit of lift (1" or less of total lift) needed for making the mistake of getting too short of a spring lift to clear the tires you want to use. The closer to stock length the better! As far as the thickness goes...1/2" sounds pretty bulletproof! NOTHING wrong with that!

<font color=red>Mike H.</font color=red>
<font color=blue>1983 CJ-7 Laredo</font color=blue>
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]o[[[[o
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-08-1999, 04:24 AM
Way Outta Control

Post deleted by LEVE

post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-08-1999, 08:50 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Man I hate shackle discussions [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] Why did I ever start this crazy thread? Okay, so maybe I need to clarify...

Current shackles [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] 1.5" lift (7" center to center, 3" over stock length)
Proposed shackles [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] 3/4" lift (5.5" center to center, 1.5" over stock length)

I have read numerous discussions on shackle lifts on this board over the past year and now I stand a victim of the exact thing I have propogated in my own post...not being specific enough and not reading VERY carefully. So I re-read one of the recent threads [/b]what shackles?[/b] and there is mention of 3/8" to 1" over stock length shackles being acceptable. I misread this as 3/8" to 1" of shackle lift.....ooops! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

The reason I am going this route is because of a few earlier decisions...I wanted a 11.5" tire and couldn't resist the the BFG Mud Terrains which only come 32x11.50. I was dead set on OME as a quality lift...never heard a regretted OME buyer which I cannot say about any other lift. Since I do not want a body lift, I know that 32's rub with just an OME, and I need to find replacement shackles anyways I have decided to go with a mild shackle lift. So there is another reason other than just "they are cheap" [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img].

Thanks for all the input and for making me realize that even with a college degree I still cannot read [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]. I'm suffering from information <font color=red>OVERLOAD</font color=red> I guess. I'm new to all of this but until my experience gets up to par I have to rely on other's experience. Will probably step down to a 4.75" shackle (3/8" lift)...Happy Jeepin'. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

JolyonF [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
'93 YJ...in the works
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode