Off Roading Forums banner

Is there such thing as too much shackle?

1K views 17 replies 4 participants last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
G
#1 ·
I finally found a set of lift shckles that come exactly in the length I want (5.5") but they seem almost overbuilt. They are "Bubba Grade" shackles manufactured by SFI (same people who make the Hypershackles) and are made out of 1/2" thick plate steel. I can't think of anything bad about having overly beefly shackles but I wanted to know if anyone else had experience or knowledge to the contrary.

Check 'em out at http://www.thinkjeep.com/prodmain/index45.html and let me know what you think! /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

JolyonF
'93 YJ...in the works

See less See more
G
#2 ·
hey I dont have extended shackles but everything I have read and basically everyone I have taked to agrees that shackles above 1" will give a bad ride. but that is all I know about it.
hope this helps

G
#3 ·
Agreed, too long shackles can cause steering and other problems, but as far as being too beefy, I doubt it. I broke 2 stock shackles years ago until I bought the ConFerrs. Granted, the bar in the middle does limit articulation a small amount, but peace of mind is important too.

Brad (from the 4 Wheeling center of the universe, 4 corners USA)

#4 ·
Having shackles that long can cause all kinds of problems. I got my jeep and drove it 40 miles with a butch 4 inch shackle lift. At each stop light I would go and the Jeep would take turns launching into the lanes to my side. There was an extreme amount of wander. I felt unsafe with the set up and got confer 2 1/4 inch lift and everythig was fine. I wanted to have a jeep that was tall and safe. I think there will be problems with the drive shaft angles , but i didn't notice that as much as i feared for my life driving it like that. It might be because i have the original steering with a gazillion rods and links, but I just want to warn of the potential problems
Dan Stewart
1963 CJ5

#5 ·
/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif What Bubba failed to tell you was that installing extended shackles would tilt each axle and cause a whole new set of interesting problems. In the front, it puts angle on the driveline at the pumpkin where no angle was supposed to be, and it also radically changes the caster which is key to steering and handling. In the rear it changes the angle of the driveline at the pumpkin and screws up the cancellation effect between the two u-joints. /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif We have had numerous discussions on this very topic on the old BBS, and I am amazed that a little didn't rub off on you. If you weren't around at the time....that lets you off the hook/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif. Both of the little moonguys /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gifI checked with recommended that you give Bubba back his shackles, unless he has them for both ends of the spring. I swear that I am someday going to invent a hangar extension for the fixed end of the springs....it would be no big deal./wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif

CJDave

G
#6 ·
Thanks for the input. Yes, I agree that too long of shackles will give you major problems. That's why I'm only getting 5.5" (3/4" lift) shackles. Since it is a YJ the stock length is 4". I am well aware of the "wandering" feeling from tall shackles. When I bought the Jeep used it already had a 1.5" shackle lift on it and now I am getting away from that with a 2.5" OME and 3/4" shackle lift. I am more worried about making a relatively cheap part of my Jeep stronger than another...something may have to give eventually. Also, from the looks of stock shackles it seems like they almost want them to have some flex in them.

Well, I guess no major objections so far...I'm just about sold!

JolyonF /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif
'93 YJ...in the works

G
#7 ·
hold up. 5.5"-4"=1.5" 1.5" of lift- but really only 3/4" cause only one side is lifted.

OK- so where does that not longer than 1" come in? the 1.5" longer- or the 3/4" lift? I am confused now since they advertise it as 1.5" of lift but really only 3/4" and the 1" of lift being .5"

So will 2" longer than stock be cool, or 1" longer than stock?
Or 1" of gained lift or .5" of gained lift?

Get what I'm saying?

#8 ·
They shouldn't advertise a 5.5" shackle as a 1.5" lift. It is 1.5" longer but only gives 3/4" of lift. Shackle lifts should only be used to gain a last little bit of lift (1" or less of total lift) needed for making the mistake of getting too short of a spring lift to clear the tires you want to use. The closer to stock length the better! As far as the thickness goes...1/2" sounds pretty bulletproof! NOTHING wrong with that!

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo
/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gifo[[[[o

G
#10 ·
Man I hate shackle discussions /wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif Why did I ever start this crazy thread? Okay, so maybe I need to clarify...

Current shackles /wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif 1.5" lift (7" center to center, 3" over stock length)
Proposed shackles /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif 3/4" lift (5.5" center to center, 1.5" over stock length)

I have read numerous discussions on shackle lifts on this board over the past year and now I stand a victim of the exact thing I have propogated in my own post...not being specific enough and not reading VERY carefully. So I re-read one of the recent threads [/b]what shackles?[/b] and there is mention of 3/8" to 1" over stock length shackles being acceptable. I misread this as 3/8" to 1" of shackle lift.....ooops! /wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif

The reason I am going this route is because of a few earlier decisions...I wanted a 11.5" tire and couldn't resist the the BFG Mud Terrains which only come 32x11.50. I was dead set on OME as a quality lift...never heard a regretted OME buyer which I cannot say about any other lift. Since I do not want a body lift, I know that 32's rub with just an OME, and I need to find replacement shackles anyways I have decided to go with a mild shackle lift. So there is another reason other than just "they are cheap" /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif.

Thanks for all the input and for making me realize that even with a college degree I still cannot read /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif. I'm suffering from information OVERLOAD I guess. I'm new to all of this but until my experience gets up to par I have to rely on other's experience. Will probably step down to a 4.75" shackle (3/8" lift)...Happy Jeepin'. /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

'93 YJ...in the works

G
#13 ·
The stock shackle length is 3" not 4" at least on m cj it was. never more than 4" shackle even if the yj has a stock 4" anymore length makes too much leverage for the shacle hanger where it mounts to the frame. I'v seen the hangers riped off the frame from long shackles

Al
http://My web page

G
#14 ·
Yes, the OME has been added and the nasty-evil /wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif shackle lift is gone forever.

Stock YJ shackles are 4" (one inch longer than CJ shackles). I don't know how CJ's are setup but on the YJ the shackle goes through the frame. Point taken none-the-less. After doing the OME lift this weekend I think I have a better feel for why I don't want super beefy shackles.

As noted before I was supposedly running with 1.5" of additional lift from 7" long shackles (3" over stock length). When I installed my OME I borrowed some stock shackles from another YJ to use until I resolved my shackle purchasing dilemma. With the OME lift in place and the nasty-evil /wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif shackles gone I expected to gain a modest 1" over my previous ride height...WRONG!!! /wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif I actually gained 3" over my old setup. I knew my springs were flat but not THAT flat. It turns out that the "lift" shackles were actually "drop" shackles in the end. Seeing that the "drop" was equal both front and back the excess stress from too long or too stiff of shackles (old ones were thick welded "H" style) must have worn out my springs.

There is some happy median between too weak of shackles and too strong. I'm going with the M.O.R.E. stock length shackles. Hey, CJDave, can a borrow a few moonguys to take Bubba's shackles back? I don't think he is going to be too pleased!!! /wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif Thanks for all the input...now which way to the trail? /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

'93 YJ...in the works

G
#16 ·
Hey Jolyon,
After checking with quite a few ARB OME dealers,they all highly recomended staying with stock shackles. Not just stock length shackles but factory "stock" shackles. They all said that stockers will provide the best ride and flex. They would not bind up as easy as aftermarket shackles.If you do bend or break a stocker,its a cheap and easy fix....just remember to always carry a set when you venture off-road. BTW how did the OME install go? Who did you get it from and how much did it cost you? Are you using the T-case drop kit or did you go with a SYE kit? Let me know the Details.
Later......Herbie

G
#17 ·
Thanks for the tough moonies...turns out Bubba took it easy on me! /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

I stand corrected on my previous post...on the YJ the rear shackles go through the frame but the fronts do go through brackets welded to the frame. Maybe I should take it easy on the "Jeep Juice". /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif So stronger than stock shackles not only increase the wear on your springs and throw off your steering geometry but could also allow you to bend/break the mounting bracket on the front....I'm sold! /wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif

The OME install went very smooth. I read over a JP article a couple of times from Feb. 97 (I think) that covered an OME install by Stage West 4x4 and that was all I really needed. The most helpful parts were the suggested torque specs. We spent maybe 4 hours on my Jeep and 2 hours on another to temporarily swap shackles. The bolts on the rear shackles of mine were already reversed from the previous shackle lift but the donor Jeep still had the bolts running from the inside so we had to manuever the gas tank to get them out. Another complication on the donor Jeep was to put temporarily put the welded "H" type shackles on. Maybe we were being plain stupid but we really had to wrestle with the springs to get them exactly in the right place (somehow they shifted to the side) where as with the two piece shackles they only have to be semi-close and you zip them in place.

I can't believe it was that easy to get the ride quality, ride height, and (soon to be discovered) improved off-road capabilities /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif. The ride is a bit softer than I want for street driving (still have some autocross racing blood in me /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif) but it is noticably better on the bumps and crappy roads of Houston than what I had before. Went with the t-case drop and have had no driveline vibration. Will do a SYE kit eventually but things seem to be fine for now. The brake lines looked tight at full articulation so I'm adding extended brake lines (front and rear) for good measure. You can just relocate the lines to remedy this but I'm thinking of doing a telescoping track bar and sway bar disconnects sometime down the road (just not this month /wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif) so extended front lines will probably be necessary.

Who did you talk to that suggested the stock shackles? I had a hard time finding anybody who knew enough about OME to simply ask me the right questions (hard top? winch? etc...). I finally called ARB and spoke to their Jeep guy to get the exact right part numbers and then I shopped around. The best price I found was at OK4wd (http://www.ok4wd.com) but Offroad Unlimited (http://www.4wdstore.com) matched their price. Shipping came to around $100 no matter where I went. JKS had an attractive offer that included the lift for above the other guys by a bit but then gave discounts on their track bar and disconnects which made the numbers come out pretty good in the end.

Sorry for the long-winded posts...my name is Jolyon and I am a Jeepaholic! /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

'93 YJ...in the works

G
#18 ·
Jolyon,
I found JKS and OK4wd to have the most knowledge on the OME system. The guys at OK have a few of there own CJ's running around with OME stuff on them. Ok4wd is within an hour drive from where I live so I will be getting my OME system from them when im ready.....hopefully before winter!
Later...Herbie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.