Engine, transmission replacement advice '82 CJ7? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2002, 09:04 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Engine, transmission replacement advice \'82 CJ7?

With well over 200,000 miles on a CJ7, my 6-cyl. engine is still going strong though in technical tests shows signs of decline. The transmission is another story. Gear shifting into first and second leave much to be desired - third and up is fine though (out of five speeds). It has been a basic road Jeep with only occasional off-road use.

I have a few basic questions if anyone would care to lend their advice (and thank you).

First, what's the best option for replacing the engine and the transmission with as close to exactly what was there before, factory - if you recommend that? I would like no noisier or rougher - this Jeep was phenomenally stable.

Second, do I have latitude to move up to a V-8 without increasing noise or getting too tweaky, or not? What would you recommend.

Third, any comments on costs or best options are appreciated. Jeep is in SoCal.

Thanks,

Donna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2002, 11:22 AM
kerns

Re: Engine, transmission replacement advice \'82 CJ7?

I went through this same thing with my 84. Ultimately I chose to rebuild the 258, toss the 5 speed and put in a T18. I thought about a V8, but for me the 258 is plenty strong and it is simple and reliable. Plus it doesn't guzzle as much gas.

I would strongly recommend getting into a tougher tranny [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]. There are several options that will bolt up with minor modifications and/or adaptors.

As with all things, it depends somewhat on what you want to do with it. The bigger rock crusher guys need V8 power. But you seem to be happy with your power, noise, etc. so I would stick with the 258.

Justin
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2002, 08:30 PM

AX-15 would be the best bolt-in swap that I can think of. Came in '90-00(?) Wranglers and Cherokees
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2002, 09:52 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks both of you!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2002, 10:27 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

YOu want to keep this as inexpensive as possible...right? As for a trans, there are several you can use that will retain the same overall length as your current combo, therefore not having the expense of new driveshafts. A T18, NP435, and SM465 are all very close to the factory length when used in conjunction with the proper adapter, the big expense is an adapter, but there are various shortcuts to all of them, for instance a T5 bellhousing can be machined to accept an SM465, leaving only the tcase adapter to buy. BTW, I don't think an AX15 is a bolt in for a CJ with a 258.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode