Neat idea for anyone having trouble hearing CB - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2002, 12:52 AM Thread Starter

Neat idea for anyone having trouble hearing CB

I just saw that CB post and remembered something I wanted to do with my CB when I get one.

The idea was thought up when my dad bought his air-plane headsets. He paid an arm and a leg for them, because they were all he was allowed.
But it got me thinking.

I saw a pair of tank-helmets at the local surplus store. They had the mic and headphones still attached..

I was just thinking about how cool it would be to retro-fit the suckers into helmet/headsets for a CB. You could even buy a cheap intercom so you can talk to your passanger.

Just an idea. I don't know about the rest of you but I haven't talked on a highway.. or roadway .. since I bought my jeep.

the banging of the windows and the tumping of the engine. (which I think is missing.) is so loud I blew my speakers without even knowing it.. I didn't even know they were on..
and it's gotten to the point where playing music is just so loud, that it just adds to the loudness of the jeep driving..

anyways just an Idea..

I think i'll do it when I get round to adding a mounted CB..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2002, 05:37 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Neat idea for anyone having trouble hearing CB

That would be pretty cool. When I go on trail rides with good friends we like to do all kinds of humorus things. Safe, but fun... you know. Crazy hats are a fun one. You get some pretty funny looks on your way to a trail run in an open top jeep with a HUGE foam cowboy hat strapped to your head. (the hat from dumb and dumber) Anyway some old school piolet helments would be exellent. And funcitonal too.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2002, 08:03 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Problem with having those headsets for a CB is you would have to squelch out a lot . Or you`d be hearing nothing but skip and static all day long .

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2002, 08:40 AM
Official Curmudgeon

Better check you local laws, headphones in a vehicle is illegal most places because you can't hear the emergency vehicle sirens. Motorcycles seem to be exempt with helmets.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2002, 08:49 AM
Official Historian

What if the windshield was folded down and the helmet was the eye protection? [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2002, 09:06 AM
Addict

I think that "you cant hear the sirens" excuse is all bogus. More than half the time, i dont hear them untill they are right on me anyway. The way all thse idiots with the systems in their car thumping away, you think they could hear the freaking sirens? What about Deaf people? Headsets for cell phones???? Some things just dont make sense...
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2002, 09:56 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

A headset would be cool, Who cares about sirens an aid cars on the trail anyways! (on rad is a different story all together of course!)

post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2002, 09:57 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I like Will's excuse! Plus, from the way I see it, how many cops would actually pull you over for having HEADSETS on. I mean, come on. Most won't even SEE you with them on! Good idea though...
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2002, 10:07 AM
Mud in my Veins

While the pilot/tanker helmet sounds cool, I think the logistics needed to wire them up would outweigh the benefit. Somewhere I saw a CB rig that was a headset with a boom mic. It was pre-wired (standard mic plug?)to work on most CBs and had a remote to key it that could be wired to the dash, shifter handle, etc.

In NC, I think the law reads that you can't cover both ears.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2002, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

haha

I'd love too see the foam hat. that would be incredibly funny..

the headsets didn't have any connectors on them.. it was just a double.. or tripple? lead coming out of the helmet.. looks like it might have caught on something or maybe caught a little action.

either way I can' see how hard it would be to rig it up to a large style headphone jack.. or even two.. one for mic and one for headset..

then I'm sure you can get an intercom for cheap.. my dad's had to be airplane quality.. but im sure the price comes down..
It's just a little box with squelch controls on it that conencts 2 or 4 headsets to eachother..

I'm sure figuring out the squelch can't be as hard as figuring it out for a airplane cockpit where the noise at idle is so loud the only way to communicate is headset or yelling, with double cupped hands into the co-pilots ear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode