Progress on our Jeeplab!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2002, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Progress on our Jeeplab!!

It's been about two weeks now and we've stripped out all of the animal partitions, shoveled out the dirt and the straw, and tossed out a ton of old boards, garbage, and debris. [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] We've run a 100 AMP electric service over to the building, put up an outdoor dusk-to-dawn lamp, and have just about finished connecting the power supply to the 100 AMP breaker that I put in our main panel ten months ago in anticipation of this shop project. [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] ONE MORE DAY and we'll have power [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] and then we can start sawing out some walls to connect the future tool rooms to the main shop. [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] We've located some free corrugated tin [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] for lining the insides of the fabrication section, and are looking at options for heat. [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] later on we'll jackhammer the floor out and install hot water piping with a new slab, but for now it'll be portable electric heaters. [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2002, 09:07 PM

Re: Progress on our Jeeplab!!

Sounds like a killer project...wish I had a big ol' place for workin on Jeeps. Take lots of pictures we wanna see this thing, and keep us posted I love to hear about shops being constructed....Won't be long before I have to Erect one of my own
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2002, 09:23 PM

Jackhammers-those are fun to run. I will gladly help you if you need it on any other job. The fat gets bouncing too much on me! You could paint the outside black and that will heat it nicely-could then open it up in the summer for the farm girls and call it a spa. Pay for Jeep projects that way. The heat thing won't be too bad where you are. Really only talking about 2-3 months of cold anymore. The heated slab will be great-they work well until you get that California blood thickened up. Real question for the shop-How will it be for hanging deer carcasses? In your area that is what really matters. [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2002, 12:54 AM
Mud in my Veins

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
later on we'll jackhammer the floor out and install hot water piping with a new slab

[/ QUOTE ]
that's cheating! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] i am so jealous, an apartment parking lot is just not conducive to truck projects [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2002, 05:16 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I think the in floor heat is a great Idea. It will be very plesent to work on and you will get fast melting of any snow and garbage. The floor will also dry very fast when wet. An Idea for temp heat would be one of those propain heaters that attaches to your BarBQ grill tank. They put out a LOT of heat, you can get them in 12000 Btus, And it sounds like your shop wont be complete with out a grill, so you should already have a tank/tanks. If I had a shop like that where my firends and I could work on trucks. A grill would be high on the list of things to get. And a fridge.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2002, 06:47 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

How will you run a 220 welder or air compressor with 100 amps? Keep in mind I don't really know what I'm talking about. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2002, 07:01 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

[img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Just remember it like this; "AMPs is heat.....Volts is force." You need current (heat) and potential(volts) to do electrical work. So what we have here is 100 AMPs and 240 VOLTS to push it. Welders for example need 240 volts (220) and they need somewhere around 25-45 amps of current.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2002, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

[img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] We have a great spot to hang deer, and it is pretty much racoon-proof. I am AMAZED at how agile the little masked marauders can be. They climb up the doors to the barn and go in the handholes that we use to reach in and unhook the doors. Then they go upstairs and poo; all in one spot basically, but it's still poo, and I have to shovel it out. [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] You recall that we are trying a little different approach to the "home shop" thing with this building in that we are not installing cabinets and so forth in the main 14 X 32 section. We are making a 12 foot long workbench along one wall, but the tool boxes which are on wheels and all of the parts storage will be in some adjacent compartments. The compartments were the grain storage rooms and they measure 6 X 8, 8 X 8, 8 X 8, and 8 X 10. One of the 8 X 8's will be the entrance to the adjacent string of rooms so you could go into that space and then turn and enter the other 8 X 8 room or the 8 X 10 room. The 6 X 8 room on the far end of the string of rooms will be for the domestic hot water heater (future), the floor heat hot water heater (future), and the air compressor(now), plus a few misc. items like shovels and so forth....anything non flammable and harmless. So you can see that our first use of the new electrical system will be to power up the Sawzall and the Skilsaw to saw our way into the grain compartments. We'll be using a Spa Heater that we got from a buddy to heat the floor WHEN we do the re-pour of the concrete in a year or so. The floor is strictly a get-by thing right now; it's made with a non-skid finish...UGH...and has slope for animal drainage, so it is not shop quality by any means. [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] By not building a lot of cabinets and fixtures in the main area, it will be easier to jackhammer out the floor later on. I wish we could do it now, but we have SO MUCH other stuff going on that costs $$$ that the floor will just have to wait. [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] There's tractors to buy [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] and trips to take. [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] The usual stuff. [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2002, 07:55 AM
Official Historian

If all the wood you are removing is sound but weathered on the surface, I've heard there are people who will pay good money for it. Some sort of attraction to rustic stuff. Might want to take care of the wood you're removing and check into that. Again, I've only heard and don't know anything more about it.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2002, 10:13 AM

I've heard that about the wood too. There is a large rustic furniture market that will use the wood.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode