AFW frame change progress - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2002, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Official Curmudgeon

AFW frame change progress

Well yesterday was eaten up doing some parts cleaning, taking measurements and removing the spring bushings including those %$*&#&*$% OEM metal shells. A Metabo with a .045 cut off disc worked good but having been in there for 22 years, it took a lot of beating to convince them to come out.

The engine/tranny/x-case are mounted, I opted to drill my own motor mount holes. The frame is narrower inside than the OEM by 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch so the mounts don't fit quite right. If I ever get back to work, I'll have some new ones made. The tranny crossmember fit perfect, just had to spring it in ever so slightly to get one bolt started, but that the way it was on the OEM frame. The exhausts are hooked up but I need to drill the holes for the hangers.

The rear axle is mounted with new bushings everywhere and new shocks. The front axle has the new bushings installed and is ready to go in once I get the rest of the bushings in the stabilizer links. After that, I have to mount the steering box, radiator, fuel tank and run fuel and brake lines. AFW lied to me, or it was a misunderstanding, they said the holes weren't there for the tabs that hold the front brake lines were they go from solid to flex. They are all drilled and tapped. Everything is drilled and tapped except for exhaust hangers and fuel and brake line clamps.

One mistake I made was that I forgot that the AFW frame is not as high as the OEM and I think I've got the motor mounts in 1/2" low. I'll take care of that when I have the new mounts made. Might stuff some heavy SAE washers in there in the mean time if it's a problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2002, 05:10 AM

Re: AFW frame change progress

Come on, Taz ... Where's The Pics!! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2002, 06:35 AM
Old Hand

Those metal shells are easy. Just use a hacksaw. Saw the shell halfway through on one side and hammer a large (old) screwdriver in between the shell and the eye so the shell starts to tear where you made the cut and curl inwards. This will release the grip the shell has on the eye and they will come out as easy as pie [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2002, 07:19 AM Thread Starter
Official Curmudgeon

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
This will release the grip the shell has on the eye and they will come out as easy as pie

[/ QUOTE ]NOT

I used the Metabo with a thin cutoff disk inserted through the slot where the spring eye curls around to cut through the shell. Yeah, the front ones came out in less than 10 minutes total but then the back ones. I had beat on one until it spiraled so bad I had 1/2' sticking out of one corner, the other side hadn't moved. I wound up having to peel it out.

Sorry, I don't think I'm gonna get any pix. I get too involved to stop to take pictures. I wanted to clean up and paint the axles, tranny crossmember, gas tank skid plate and stuff but I'm not even taking the time to do that because the weather is going bad on me. I'll have to take it back apart next year to do the painting. I thought I might take a few pix when it was back together but it's supposed to start raining later today and I need to get it back under the carport. If US Freightways hadn't damaged that first frame and I'd got it earlier or if I had an indoor place to work, I might be able to take more time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode