Join Date: Nov 2001
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
AFW frame change progress
Well yesterday was eaten up doing some parts cleaning, taking measurements and removing the spring bushings including those %$*&#&*$% OEM metal shells. A Metabo with a .045 cut off disc worked good but having been in there for 22 years, it took a lot of beating to convince them to come out.
The engine/tranny/x-case are mounted, I opted to drill my own motor mount holes. The frame is narrower inside than the OEM by 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch so the mounts don't fit quite right. If I ever get back to work, I'll have some new ones made. The tranny crossmember fit perfect, just had to spring it in ever so slightly to get one bolt started, but that the way it was on the OEM frame. The exhausts are hooked up but I need to drill the holes for the hangers.
The rear axle is mounted with new bushings everywhere and new shocks. The front axle has the new bushings installed and is ready to go in once I get the rest of the bushings in the stabilizer links. After that, I have to mount the steering box, radiator, fuel tank and run fuel and brake lines. AFW lied to me, or it was a misunderstanding, they said the holes weren't there for the tabs that hold the front brake lines were they go from solid to flex. They are all drilled and tapped. Everything is drilled and tapped except for exhaust hangers and fuel and brake line clamps.
One mistake I made was that I forgot that the AFW frame is not as high as the OEM and I think I've got the motor mounts in 1/2" low. I'll take care of that when I have the new mounts made. Might stuff some heavy SAE washers in there in the mean time if it's a problem.