A.A. engine conversion mounts-Strong enough? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2002, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

A.A. engine conversion mounts-Strong enough?

Anyone have any long-use opinions on the weld-in motor mounts for flatties and SBC's from Advance Adapters? Looks like it uses a small rubber puck as a mount, which doesnt seem like it would last too long on an engine with any torque. I am putting a built up fuel injected 4.3 in my '48 2A, and dont want to be replacing the mounts every season! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Also, is their(A.A.) Saginaw steering kit worth the $$$, or is it better to fab it myself. I dont mind making it, but the more time cutting, welding and building means less time wheeling! [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Any opinions, info, gripes, etc. welcome! Thanks......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2002, 09:26 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: A.A. engine conversion mounts-Strong enough?

I have no REAL world experience with the mounts, but I bought them when I started my 302 swap. When the arrived I really wasn't impressed. I ended up cutting them up for another project.

I would suggest using newer engine mounts, and just fabbing up some frame mounts. The AA mounts aren't gonna save you that much headache.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2002, 10:19 PM
Spike5421

I had those mounts on my scout II with a IROC camaro engine and had no problems, I think that is the old design however and that they have improved it. I am actually using those same motor mount bushings (they are sleeved with steel and have molded washers) for my tranny mount on the NV4500 that I am running now in my CJ.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2002, 11:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Have you considered M.O.R.E. engine mounts? I have heard they are bullet proof.

RR
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2002, 03:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I run MORE mounts on my 350 conversion. STOUT!!!

not a piecemail one size fits all like the AA jobby. cost alittle more but they are beefy and worth it in my opinion.

Of course if you have the skills you could always fab your own....
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Wouldnt happen to have their web address would ya? I am looking for options before I decide to buy/build. Havent finished boxing the frame yet, so I have a little time! [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 09:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I just did my 350 swap a few weeks ago, the difference in power is amazing, I used the M.O.R.E. Bomb proof 350 conversion mounts, they are designed flawlessly, but you must also account for a few other items before you make your choice, with the M.O.R.E. mounts they are designed to also have a gm tranny put in, with a gm tranny they bolt right to the original mounting areas, but if your like me and just adding engine and keeping your stock tranny (Mine's a T5, 86 CJ7 Renegade) then the tranny will dictate the mounting which may cause you to drill a few holes into your frame, or i guess you could weld them in if you really wanted to, I stabbed the motor to the tranny first then drilled the frame to the mount holes. Now I also used the Lakewood conversion bellhousing from 4WDH a nice unit but it also comes with its own array of probs.I suppose that if you were able to use the A A Ranger overdrive system that would probably line you up pretty close. drilling the frame does save you alot of time and money when you concider drive shaft and mounting mods that can suck your budget dry quickly. While im here hope fully another experienced 350 swapper might read this and know how to get my stock temp Guage to work with my pre 85' 350, Part #'s anyone?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 05:05 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

http://www.mountainoffroad.com/

http://www.mountainoffroad.com/catal.../bombproof.htm

http://www.4x4review.com/products/dr...more_mount.asp

My YJ/350 bombproof mounts are created from 3/16" stock Jig welded.

The mounts have an indexing thumb that fits in a hole in the frame for proper positioning. This is to give you the best position for the distributor, so there is firewall clearance. not so much the reason the tranny, as that is a variable. By moving the Engine forward (possible as the block is shorter than a 258) you also gain a longer driveshaft [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img], while only relocating your tranny mounting position; so why would you want to keep it in the stock YJ location and have to cut distributor clearance out of the firewall? [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 05:10 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm uses my stock temp guage with a '81 block. Just grab your 258 sending unit 3/8NPT and put it in a 3/4-3/8 reducer and thread into the manifold. (npt sizes are by memory)Done. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] EEEEZZZZZ
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 08:01 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Use the mounts and attach a short piece of chain to the block and then to the frame.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode