Front/rear tow hooks - where & how - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2002, 05:05 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Front/rear tow hooks - where & how

I just got my hands on 2 pairs of tow hooks. They were both used as rear tow hooks on some kind of a truck. Originally theyweren't bolted, but were a part of undercarriage. In the user's manual of the truck (junk yard) they were surposed to tow some 12000 lbs.
Now, since I don't have ANY tow hooks on my YJ, I wanted to know where to put them. I intend to put 2 holes in each & bolt them down. They were cut out of that truck with quite a bit of surrounding metal, so two holes shouldn't make them too weak.

Can somebody PLS explain to me where shoult they be bolted to at the front & at the rear, how much apart should I make the holes % how strong should the bolts be?

Thanx!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2002, 05:12 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Front/rear tow hooks - where & how

Putting them on the front isn't hard at all. Take that plastic cover off that rests at the base of your grill. You can see the frame rail that holds the front bumper, and the round cross member that backs up the bumper. Drill two holes there and mount them on top. That is a very strong spot.
For the back, that is a hard one. There has been talk about this before, although I thing it was quite a while ago and I don't really remember how it turned out. If you are going to be doing a lot of recovery with the rear, then I would sugest getting a bumper with a hitch, and use that with a D-ring or hook.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2002, 05:16 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanx for the fronts, I got the idea.
About the rears - do you remember if it was on this forum, or anyother keyword so I can look for it?

Actually, I don't need them for real pulling, just for the friend's car in the snow (in the city), etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2002, 08:46 AM

On the rear mounts it really depends on what you have for a bumper. The frame rails in the rear are like the front, so you could do a simular thing out back. I bolted mine to the underside of the frame, but my hooks have a retaining clip to hold the tow strap in place. It's just a bent peice of springy steel that keeps the strap from falling. With the hooks upside down you have gravity working against you.

On the front mounts, I'd just add that when you drill out your hooks, try to use the existing holes where your bumber mounts. The more you swiss cheese your frame the weaker it gets. You may have to buy longer bolts, but they're available in any good parts store. Oh yeah, do yourself a favor and use grade 8 hardware. Your new tow hooks may be rated at 12,000 lbs, but they're only as good as the bolts holding them in place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode