Ignition kill switch ideas? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2002, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

Ignition kill switch ideas?

I learned something new about my wonderful CJ today....I don't need a key to start it. The ignition locks back if you turn it just right and talk to it real nice, but sometimes it won't lock at all. When it is locked it probly wouldn't take much more than a half determined theif to steal it. So I'm wondering if there are any good ways to put a kill switch in the ignition in a place only I would know of? I'm sure some of you have ideas and I'm open to any suggestions. I live at school with my Jeep parked in a large open lot that anyone can get into. I don't have locking doors and I picture my CJ as something that would make a drunk want to steal it. Going to school in the middle of a lot of corn makes a lot of people want to get drunk, so I'm a bit worried now. Thanks in advance for your ideas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2002, 08:52 PM

Re: Ignition kill switch ideas?

I haven't actually used these, but Hella makes a Battery Master Switch. I'm pretty sure you can mount it pretty much anywhere and it kills the juice from your battery. Quadratech sells them for aobut $20 and they use a key, so you can "lock" the switch
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2002, 09:06 PM

This was a good post with many different ideas...

Security Options
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2002, 05:37 AM
Keyboard Implanted

One of the best Idesa that I got from this very board was cheap and easy. Go out and get a piece of the Bigges chain you can find, and a HUGE pad lock. When you get out of your jeep and you know it will sit where it is not safe. Just wrap that chain around the seat frame and do a loop to the steering wheel. That way even if someone started it up they could only drive in a straight line. No turning = no stealing.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2002, 06:50 AM
Mud in my Veins

Problem(s) with chaining the steering wheel....
-A $2 hacksaw from WallyWorld will cut the steering wheel in about 10 seconds (chain then useless)
-$20 boltcutters from Northern will take care of any padlock able to lock a "big chain" chain (see above)
-Thief or vandal can still START the Jeep and cause damage to it & other vehicles (guess who's still responsible...ask my boss)
-"Big Chain" rapidly scratching the pi$$ out of everything it touches (Squids use chains to remove paint on ships)

I'm faced with the same issue...key switch "pickable" by 5 y/o with nail clippers, non-locking steering column, high profile beater in neighborhood, no door locks, and cops won't give a rats A$$ if the punks took/trashed it. In my case, a cutout switch/circuit and a way to disable column shifter & steering is needed. Still pondering ideas at this point.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2002, 06:56 AM
Official Historian

You should search. There was a LONG thread last year on this. There were many different ideas and a few diagrams if memory serves.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2002, 07:24 AM
M38

I think I will do a fuel cutout, they might get a couple of miles then not take the time to look under the hood and run the down side is it doesn't take much gas to get up on a trailer

clint
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 08:12 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Buy a simple toggle switch and run one of your ignition wires to the switch and back to the ignition box ie. the power to the ignition box. When the switch is flipped there will be no power to the box, therefore no starting it. Just be sure to mount the switch in a not so obvious location and buy a half decent toggle switch.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 08:45 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]If you send me an e-mail, I can send you my CJDave theft prevention scheme for Jeep CJs. [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 09:38 AM

My buddy had a chevy truck, and you had to hold down one of the buttons while turning the key, I think it was the cruise control button, but you could use whatever.

if you turned the key without that button being pressed, it wouldnt start, and it would honk the horn!

pretty nifty

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode