Is this 1990 wrangler worth the money - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2002, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

Is this 1990 wrangler worth the money

I am looking at a 1990 wrangler with a blown up 4 cylinder, 5 speed. The chassis has 160,000 miles on it. The frame is really good, the body has one spot of rust on the rocker panel. The soft top is worn but it has factory half doors.
The jeep comes with a 2.5l long block that is brand new from chrysler (not a reman) and a new clutch.

My intent is a moderate off road machine and nice weather sunday driver.

Can the drive train handle 33's? I believe the gears are 4:10s.

The asking price is $2500.

I currently have a 1986 CJ7 but the frame is rusty and not sure if it is time to upgrade.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2002, 06:38 PM
Old Hand

Re: Is this 1990 wrangler worth the money

Offer the guy $2000 [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

That sounds like a good deal to me especialy with the new motor and clutch.. as long as nothing else is broke [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

33s yep [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2002, 06:50 PM

It would depend on where you are at. Fill out your profile so that we can help.
I vote for offereing the 2K for it. Around here you could get it for cheaper (1000 to 1500) so use your judgement. (acually I bought an eng fire 88 that was spotless other than the front w/ a 6cyl and 2 tuffy boxes w/ 1/2 doors for 500.......but that was a steal)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2002, 06:51 PM
balanced

with that many miles on the drive train I would look it over real good. What type of lift would you put on it? I just sold a 90 wrangler w/less miles on it then that so I could buy a 84 cj w/33's. I thought if I had to lift the wrangler again ( 2.5 1st time to fit 31's) to fit 33's I would just p/up a lifted cj and not have to go thru all the hassle. Boy did I get burned, the cj only has like 2 or 2.5" of lift w/the 33's. Now I still have to change the lift to get the clearance to wheel.
Just goes to show that we always want what we don't have.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2002, 06:54 PM

I also bought this w/ a bad eng. (40k eng was included) for 1k.(it had stocker wheels and tires and was pretty clean)
1985 CJ7
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2002, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

I am in upstate ny. The jeep that I have is a 86 cj7. I really like the CJ's but my frame is a bit rusty.

In the long run, would it be cheaper to build a cj or wrangler. Remeber, a budget offroader vs. a daily driver.

I had thought about offerin $2000 and trying to sell the motor since it is brand new, then do a 302 conversion.
But I would have to replace the entire drive train. I want a cheap project but not sure of the direction. Maybe I should save myself the hassle and would for my cj7 to break in half and the buy something complete. To many ideas, and not enough time (or money I guess).
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2002, 07:18 PM
Old Hand

Sounds like an easy fix to me!

SawzALL!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2002, 09:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I wouldn't give over $1500 for that jeep. It has a lot of miles and it is going to cost you some time and money to get it to run. On top of that, 4 bangers go for about a $1,000 less than a 6.

Good Luck!
Kriss
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2002, 01:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

HECK NO!!! I wouldn't give them more than $1200 for it. I paid $1600 for mine with about the same miles on it, but mine had a 4.2L. I also had a bit more rust (both rockers), and only a bikini top with 1/2 doors, but mine actually ran. Now I am into it about $4,000 after I had to do the rebuild, and lift it to fit 31's, and I am just getting started. I have quickly learned there is no such thing as a "cheap" jeep project!!! Of course the enjoyment I get outta my jeep is priceless. [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2002, 03:57 PM

It doesn't seem like too bad a deal. I paid 3200 for my 91 YJ Islander, came with a hard top and soft top, but it's one of those "million little things need to be fixed" deals....u-joints, tranny mount, different stuff that just all adds up and ends up being as much of a pain in the @SS as one big thing! I'd check everything out pretty close, there's a lot of the little [bleep] you don't wanna have to deal with if you're doing an engine swap too. The new longblock is a nice idea, though. It probably cost close to that from MOPAR anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode