LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2002, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Need advice... which jeep to keep?

the facts.
1. I have orders to southern california early next summer
2. I will have to commute
3. my wife will have to commute
4. I've never seen a jeep I'd rather own then my TJ, however, its not exactly the most efficient vehicle ever built. while it does drive acceptably well to speeds up to about 65mph, its hard on it to do so.
5. My wifes TJ is rock solid dependable and we recently had no problems driving 8 hours home in it. it is also locked on 35's and has a bit of warranty left.

so... what do I do??
if i sell my jeep I can buy a tow rig and put a 44 in the front of the wifes jeep. I'd drive the truck to/from work and she'd drive her tj.
OR
sell her jeep and buy a tow rig. this means I'm driving my jeep every day and shes driving the truck (shes not wild about driving a truck in SoCal)

in either scenerio we could buy a cheap beater for me and she could drive whatever she wants...I also have to concider the fact I dont have any idea where I'm going to live or how much parking I'll get... it seems reasonable that the more parking I get.. the more I'll have to commute.
OR
we could keep them both, buy a beater, and not have a tow rig.. then I'll need space for the trailer, 2 jeeps and a beater...
it also seems as though if we had a tow rig we could go on more trips wheeling.
I think i could get pretty good $$$ for either jeep.

last option.. sell both jeeps and my truck put all the $$$ into a house and ride the bus... this sounds reasonable....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2002, 06:03 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Need advice... which jeep to keep?

whats base housing like? have you called.. gotten on the list.. ??
id sell hers.. and keep yours.. especially for the wheelin out there.. you're not going to want to tow her jeep someplace.. and not do THE trail... only to break it and then not have a vehicle to commute in.. so i would sell hers.. get a beater.. and a tow rig.. that way... if you break your jeep.. you will both still have rides..
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2002, 06:27 PM

You could park one jeep on the trailer and then you could keep both jeeps and a beater and only take 3 spots. Or sell both and get 2 CJ5 and park both in one space. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2002, 06:42 PM

(picure the "dude you're getting a dell" guy here)
"Dude you're going to rock country"!!!!!!
I think you're gonna be allful depressed if you keep hers and can't do alot of the trails you could do with yours. Keep it Chris. You could buy and build another one like hers without too much of a problem. On the other hand.........I don't think you could do that with yours. Not that you couldn't build a whole new rig or anything, but you'd have to scratch build a buggy to have much better than what you have. And to have all the goodies it has you'd have more than a new TJ.
Weigh the options. And see if she will settle for a "settle" for something untill she gets the NEXT new jeep. Make sure she knows that she is next in line.
Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours. Keep yours.
(or give to me [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img])
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2002, 07:01 PM
Veteran

Suck it up and keep them both, .....you need to find out how long the waiting list is for housing(I know the San Diego area sucks for military housing), what's the closest housing(civilian) to you and the ole lady's work, and most importantly, if you have to live off base,....how's the security in the area that you plan to live in.

You could get on the PBB and ask SanDiegoCJ about his fine city.

I think that if you get rid of either one, that you'll just end up regretting it.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2002, 07:22 PM

Keep your rig. There's not too many out here like it and you will be kicking yourself in the a$$ if you don't have it. Check the price of jeeps out here (San Diego) and then see when you want to sell. Since your coming out here can you bring me a hard top for my CJ. They go for $800.+ and I know they are a lot cheeper out there.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2002, 09:21 AM
utahjeepr

I guess one of the big questions you have to ask yourself is are you happy with your Jeep. Yes, it is WAY cool. But will you be happy just wheelin it and doing repairs/upgrades to it or will you be happier with a "new" project. Let's face it, if you keep hers you're gonna build it. Not just a 44 under the front, but a serious build up. I know it and you know it, you just won't be able to control yourself despite all those years of military discipline [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]. (They do have military discipline in the "Wing" don't they? [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img])

If you are going to be happier with a new project, the choice is clear. Sell yours. If you would rather keep yours (that would be my choice) the water starts to get a little muddy.

If I recall correctly, you have 2 TJ's and one old Ford truck. Her TJ is an acceptable commuter, yours is not, and the Ford may have "issues" in CA. As a 77 the smog situation for the Ford may not be as bad as you think, if it is a 3/4 ton getting it through with a clean bill will be even easier. (All assuming you wish to register them in CA.)

How reliable is the Ford? Would you feel comfortable driving it every day and using it as a tow rig? I am assuming that you are not since it is not mentioned here. If you are not comfortable with the Ford, sell it in NC. It will sell easier there than it will here and you will probably get a little more for it.

Here in So Cal used 3/4 ton trucks are fairly cheap. Used 3/4 ton standard cab trucks are dirt cheap. I sold my 94 Dodge 3/4 (loaded SLT, 360, auto, 2wd, standard cab) in "very good" condition for $6000 last year. That was all I could get out of it. I happen to know a guy who may let a 95 Dodge 3/4 2wd Cummins truck go for under $10K. So a tow rig may not be out of the question even if you keep both Jeeps.

That last bit you threw in is the most important bit though. BUY A HOUSE. If you are going to be here for 3-4 years and you will not be in base housing you have to buy. Rents out here are as high as a mortgage, so you ain't gonna save a dime renting. If you buy a home out here with a 15 year fixed in 3-4 years you will have a good bit of equity in the house (only go to a 20 year fixed at the most and then only if absolutly neccessary to swing the payment). You can get No Down or Low Down 15's for around 6-7% right now, maybe a bit less. To get the best rates (low 5's) you need 20% down, but good rates can be had for Non conventional loans. You'll be paying a bit for PMI, but only for the 3-4 years until you move so don't even worry about it. By then you should have enough equity to put a sizeable down payment on a home wherever you chose to "settle down".

Buying a home is in the best financial interests of your family. Make sure that happens first, then figure out the rest.

And NO I am not a Realtor! (that is what you were thinking, right? [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img])
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2002, 01:46 PM

I've got a buddy stationed at Mirimar, he's commuting 45 min to work and 1+ hours home. So are several of the guys working for him, just a matter of cost and location. I agree sell the Ford in NC, get a new rig in CA. You can get a great deal in the desert areas for trucks(1991 Chevy 1 ton dually 95,000 miles for less than 5K in Ridgecrest last summer). Last time I was stationed in CA (1996) to get a base sticker you had to pass local smog test no matter what state it was registered in. Don't know if it's still the same.
Something else to think of, if you sell a Jeep in CA, will you get more for it there?
Sorry no quick answer.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2002, 03:04 PM

If your worried about vehicle space then you can leave your jeep at my house [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]. It will be like its both of ours we'll just keep it at my house [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]. But I must agree with everyone else, at least KEEP your jeep. Didnt you tell me that one of the reasons your going to Cali is for all the Wheelin! Why go to Cali where all the baddest trails are and not take your jeep. Keep the Jeep, if you dont youll be sorry.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2002, 06:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey this is common ground here. We've been over this. Do not get rid of yours. you will never be able to look another Jeep in the Grill after commiting such a despicable act. Not only that but yours is more suited to rockcrawling in the area where you are going. 26 ORV's any man would give his left pinion to be in your shoes.

return hers to stock, and trade in on a tow rig.
sell the parts and buy a beater with the cash when you get from the parts.

This way you don't get hosed on the trade and you've got money for the beater without using your paycheck or savings.

Good Luck on Housing better get on the list now. Don't wait. Housing is at a premium over there. (Or so I hear)

Shawn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode