Any pictures of a Roll Cage for a CJ-8? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2002, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Any pictures of a Roll Cage for a CJ-8?

I think I need a roll cage. I'm not sure if the factory roll bar is enough. This is for my 81 Scrambler. It has a half hard top that I want to use in the winter so I can't build a normal cage. It would have to work with the half top. I'm thinking I'll have to build an in the cab cage for the front. I might leave the factory roll bar for the back. Or maybe I can build an external roll cage that I could fit the half top through. Has anybody got any pictures of a roll cage for a scrambler that can still use the half top?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2002, 09:19 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Any pictures of a Roll Cage for a CJ-8?

Here is a pretty slick one - pricey though.
http://www.rockhard4x4parts.com/scrambler.htm
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2002, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

I like how that one ties in to the roll bar. It's just what I've been looking for. I don't worry about the cost because I'll be building it myself. I'd be broke if I bought everything off the shelf.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2002, 03:49 PM

I don't have any pictures, but I have an '81 CJ8 too with a halftop and was wondering the same thing as you. I looked at that cage and the install looks clean but I don't like where it bolts to the sides of the dash, there's not that much to support the bar during a rollover. I could see the sides of the body squishing out during a rollover. I would recommend a bar that goes to the floor. I saw a CJ2 roll end over end at Disney this past weekend and I sure want something more secure than that attachment point. Also, where it ties into the body behind the seats should get some additional reinforcement, there's just thin sheetmetal there on my body. The clamps are cool, I wonder if you can buy those somewhere. Take note - it says SPORT CAGE not ROLL CAGE! I'd also use 2" tube, that's the minimum I've been told to use. After watching that '2 flip end over end, whatever I build will definately tie into the floor of the body and then the frame through bushings so the frame can still flex.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2002, 07:03 PM
BMF

I think the reason most, if not all, roll cages are sold as sport cages is because the manufacturer has no control over how their product is installed. The best cage in the worl won't do you any good if it is bolted to a cancerous floor. By the way that nice cage is patent pending? I know they're not the first to come up with that design, I wonder if a patent is only good for exact dimensions, anyone know.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2002, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Looking at it again, I don't like how it ties in either. The pipe should have run all the way to the floor. I think I'll have to mount mine to the floor only. Don't worry, I'll use big mounting plates and my floor is new 14 guage. I plan on changing how my body mounts so the frame can flex independently from the body. On my last trip, the frame twisted so much that the body buckled . For more information on that, look at my post "I bent my body!"
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2002, 07:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ryan,
Funny you posted this question because I just finished with a site for CJ8 roll cages.

http://www.panther4x4.com/Scrambler/FullCage.html

My plans are to use my CJ7 cage in my scrambler. The front 4WD hoop and spreaders would be the same as a CJ7.
The CJ7 hoop will have the stock speaders cut off and will be moved forward to be parallel with the 3" CJ8 stock roll bar.
This would allow for shoulder strap without having to go thru the roll bar because they are in the CJ7 hoop.
Anyway, hope that helps, I can update the page once I tackle the project but for now have compiled some info.
Lee
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2002, 07:33 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The cage on the rockhard site does actually go to the floor - behind the dash. You can't really see it in the pictures on the CJ8 page but if you poke around their site a little you'll see the design they use. And they do sell the clamps separate (for DIY) but they don't have any yet for the 3" Scrambler bar. And no, I don't work for them, I just think they have some good ideas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode