TJ - Anyone Install Rubicon Express long arm kit? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2002, 08:13 AM Thread Starter

TJ - Anyone Install Rubicon Express long arm kit?

Anybody install a Rubicon Express long arm kit on a TJ?
Over weekend I helped a friend install a Rubicon Express long arm kit with 5.5" lift springs on his 2000 TJ (4.0L, 5spd, D44, D30). Also installed the R.E. CV drive shaft and SYE kit that does not require disassemble of transfercase.

Mostly all went well... the instructions were next to worthless. Missing brake line mounting bracket (fabricated) and missing grease fitting (had some in drawer). Otherwise this kit is beefy.
This kit includes new center frame crossmember. The front and rear control arms attach to the new crossmember. The new crossmember is mostly flat so the engine/transmission/transfercase is all tilted with the output of transfercase now higher. (note: we did have to lower the radiator fan shroud so the fan would not hit)

Problem is : The CV driveshaft binds against itself.

The instructions for entire install were vague so it is possible we missed a detail.
I realize the springs will settle an inch or so and that will be maybe be fine for on road driving. But what good will that be when on trail and the rear axle droops? ...at any rate how is it supposed to be driven to settle the springs in? We rotated the rear axle up much as possible without needing to relocate the spring mounts.

Who has installed one of these kits? Did you have similar problem? Is something supposed to be done with the OE trans mount and the new crosmember to keep the rear end of transfercase down?
Any suggestions? [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2002, 02:16 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: TJ - Anyone Install Rubicon Express long arm kit?

hmmmmmmm...
I know infantryj put the long arm kit on his tj last year.. he has all stock running gear and has the d-44 rear...he doensnt have the bind issue though. did you cut enough off the x-fer case output shaft?
I think he got a different SYE too....

I have a long arm kit too, but my atlas is clocked flat...i never have any probems.
my wifes front driveshaft hits the skidpan when her jeep is on a lift, but it has never happened off roading...or does it bind all the time?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2002, 08:12 AM Thread Starter

Binds all the time. We raised the rear wheels by the axle then spun the driveshaft... bind bind bind bind bind

I will take blame on t/c outputshaft length...

SYE was last to go on, so it was late at night after full day of installing. We had all but given up on instructions around lunch. So - I measured the female spline on SYE flange (1.2") then cut the t/c shaft to leave 1.2" of spline ...more spline = more strength. Right?
Later when cleaning up I found the SYE instructions and read them to see how close I was... there is a sentence that tells to cut the shaft so 1" of spline is left. Doh! The only measurement not blacked out.

We discussed and decided to call it a night because we were tired, cold and weren't sure how much .200" will matter ...leave it as is and if there is a problem we can cut off the .200"

Well, problem.
Steps to resolve: Cut the .200" off end of t/c shaft. Install 1" engine lift. Load about 300lbs in rear and 100lbs on front then drive it around a field with rear driveshaft removed.
Shaft was cut last night. Engine lift should be installed by end of week. Will drive it a bit more while loaded to settle the springs much as possible.

Thanks

Maybe I should have titled this post "What are best tires to use with R.E. 6" Long Arm lift kit?" or "I'm single - could someone tell me what it means when my SYE binds?" - then maybe more the 20 people would read it [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2002, 10:52 AM
Veteran

Yep, I installed the kit,....all by my lonesome,.... RE's instructions are crap,...I have a link at home with a good write up that I used on the install. My SYE is a Tera HD, I have no problem with binding. I don't know what degree my pinion is set at, I would have to check it again, but it is tilted up quite a bit. I ordered my tires before the lift was even on the Jeep, I got the 37 MTR's, they fit pretty good, the backspacing on my rims is 4",...too much, ....I should have gotten 3.5" or 3.75" as I have a little rubbage on the lower control arms. I did end up putting a 1" BL and 1" MM lift just for the additional clearance, that's as high as I want to go.

Your binding problem does sound like it would be the SYE. Let us know how it goes. I did have a clunk,.clunk,. clunk after a wheeling trip, ...it ended up being my yoke nut on the back of the T-Case had worked itself loose a little,....tightened it up,...no more clunk, clunk, clunk, but that was really my only problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode