Track bar or not track bar? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2002, 12:46 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Track bar or not track bar?

I've had a *LOT* of oppinions on removing the front/rear track bars (the front one is called "sway", right?). Most of the Jeepers have them removed, saying they aren't experiencing any problems. Others say it's very unsafe (sharp turns, i.e. a dog crosses your way). Plus I don't know if removing any of those causes major stress to various joints. And since the clicking sound I hear is (most probably) the rear track bar... Well, shall I remove it or not? And then the swaybar...

[img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] To bar or not to bar? [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2002, 12:51 AM

Re: Track bar or not track bar?

You're bound to get different answers on the removal of the front trackbar and swaybars.
However, the general consensus is that it's OK to remove the rear trackbar.

The best way to do it though, is to remove what you think you don't need, then go test drive it.

I took off the front and rear trackbars, but left the swaybars on the front connected. My YJ had a bad habit of really sloppy steering and other bad road manners that I didn't like. So I left the rear off and put the front back on. It's all personal preference.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2002, 12:55 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hmm...
If I get i right, there are 3 bars on the YJ: rear track bar, front track bar and front sway bar? Or am I missing something here? I don't remember seeing two bars in the front - just the sway front & a track rear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2002, 02:01 AM

The three bars are the rear trackbar, front trackbar, and the stabalizer links (more commonly referred to as swaybars).

The rear trackbar bolts to the rear axle on the drivers side and then bolts to the frame on the passenger side above the rear axle.
The front trackbar is bolted to the passenger side of the front axle and then bolts onto the drivers side frame.
The "swaybars" (stabilizer bar and links...well...I have a picture to show where they are...
The rear trackbar is easy to find....it's the only thing bolted to the axle back there.

In this picture, you are looking at the underside of the Jeep from the front. So left in the picture is passenger side on the vehicle.
Trackbar is in <font color="red">red</font color>
Stablizer bar is in <font color="green">green</font color>

In this picture, you are again looking at the underside of the front. Again, left is passenger side.
Stabalizer bar is in <font color="green">green</font color>.
Stabalizer bar link is in <font color="red">red</font color>.

So to remove the components on the front, just look at the picture and find the corresponding components and remove them.
Be aware that the drivers side of the front trackbar is a huge pain to remove because it's one of those hated Torx bolts. I'd suggest that if you do remove it, you replace that Torx bolt with a "normal" hex head bolt.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2002, 02:09 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Great! Got it all!
One more thing; the rig in the 2nd photo is lifted or stock?
I ask 'cos on my (stock) YJ the distance between the front axle and the bumpstop is barely the half of the distance I see in that 2nd photo...
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2002, 02:11 AM

Both of those photos are of my YJ, which is bone stock. Hence, no lift whatsoever...
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2002, 02:47 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I see...
Could I ask you to tell me, at least proximately, how
much is from the bottom of that bump stop to the top of the axle? I'm affraid my leafs are gone [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Also, if I remove the rear track bar, is it going to put additional stress on the shackles &amp; shackle bushings, or not?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode