CJ Transmission cover - hard part to find? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 07:49 PM
Sully

CJ Transmission cover - hard part to find?

A while back I put a T-19 behind my 258 with some help from Novak... but I'm wishing I'd done a better job making the hole for the shifter and the old T-4 one is just covered with some package tape. So, I'd like to find a new tranny cover, say from an Automatic so it only has the transfer case shifter hole and I can cut a new hole for the T-19. But I can't seem to find any at the usual parts providers and there isn't any Jeeps in junkyards around here. So do any of you guys have a cover you'd be willing to sell, or suggestions on where to look? I was thinking of calling Collins Brothers and asking about their used parts inventory, will the covers from any CJ say 76 and newer fit my 84 body? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 08:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: CJ Transmission cover - hard part to find?

Try www.willysoverland.com They have all of the original blue prints from AMC and back. They sell a replica tub and still have a few OEM parts kicking around the warehouse. At least they may be able to point you in the right direction.

Good Luck!
Kriss
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 08:04 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I might still have a CJ cover for a manual. I ended up with two when I got my T18.

If you're interested, I'll look for it.

Fritz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 08:09 PM
Sully

We'll Fritz I really appreciate the offer... but I'm looking for a cover without a manual tranny shifter hole already in it... I'd like to cut/drill my own into one (from an automatic?) because the T-19 tower sits pretty far foward in the cover.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 08:46 PM

some of the later automatic CJs dont have a removable cover.

I made one for a buddy last year out of stainless, it looks great, but he cussed me quite abit for the $20 in drill bits it took to get the holes drilled in it. haha

post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 09:18 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I couldn't find a cover that would work for my 727/300 combo so I made my own. I used some 16 gauge galvanized roofing tin. I made a template of the old manual cover on some heavy paper. Then I traced the outline and holes onto the new tin. I cut everything with tin snips. I used a 80 grit sanding disk on my grinder to smooth everything out. The cover looks great, and I haven't painted it. I have an auto cover you can have for $15+shipping. I bought it originally to do exactlly what you want to do. My homemade cover looks a lot better than the factory cover. Let me know if you want it and I will take some pics.

Later,
Tom
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 09:31 PM

Hmmm...I've got an '86 w/auto trans and it has a cover...

This is a *very* easy to fab item...it's just a piece of sheetmetal. I cut one from a sheet of stainless. Flattened out the original, traced it onto the stainless, cut it, drilled the mounting holes, and bent it over the edge of an old speaker box.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 09:39 PM

I have never seen one without a cover either Jeepskate, but some of the guys rode me pretty hard last year! ( they have or had trans hump coverless Cjs)

its pretty easy to make one tho really, or get that one from Tom, even easier!

post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 11:03 PM

The 76-79 TH400-Quadratrack setups that I have seen don't have covers,just an outline where the cover would go.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2002, 06:40 AM
Sully

Tom I think I'll take you up on that cover if you'll just email me a picture and check a measurement for me... I'm going to measure approximately where the D300 shifter on mine is (stock same as when the T-4 was in there) and send you the numbers just to make sure the holes are close. [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
It may be this afternoon/evening before I email you.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode