Winch safety!!!!!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Winch safety!!!!!!

We havent talked about this in awhile and even though we all know what to do i think we should just bring it all back up again.

Today i was pulling some bushes out for a friend of mine. Pulled the first 4 out with out a problem. Came to the last one and this sucker doesnt want to move. I drug all four tires, on the asphalt, with out it moving. So i looked across the street and saw a nice telephone pole to strap my CJ down too. Hooked everything up and starting to pull. When the cable just about got tight i stopped, I wanted to throw a jacket over the cable cause i knew there was going to be some stress on the cable. When i finally starting pulling hard. Snap went cable. Even with the jacket the cable still went totatlly under the CJ, about 50 feet. But the jacket did throw it to the ground. What i learned was the cable was very rusty right at the ubolt clamp. That is were it snapped. I use three ubolts and it broke at the first one closest to the hook. When i grabed the hook there was only two ubolts left and none on the cable. So the third one went flying somewhere. Hopefully not through anyones open window.

Everyone please check your ubolts and cable so nobody can get hurt the next time you use the winch. And also use a jacket on that cable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 07:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Winch safety!!!!!!

Hey, good post. I read Warns instruntion manual to learn how to use a snatch block and although i did not learn how to use a snatch block i did learn that u need to throw somthing heavy over the line. I jsut wanted to say that this is a good post and I hope alot of people learn from it. Btw i dont know if u know this or nto but where can i get replacment cable or maybe that new kind of threaded rope for my winch. It is an old 6k and the chain starting get a bit *****y if u know what i mean.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 08:21 PM

Good reminder Jim. [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] Just ask Mav if I'm anal [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] about the same thing. I was b1tching at my (deaf) passenger to do the same thing.(he could not for the life of him understand [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] why I wanted this done) Mav finally had to jump out and do it. [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] (<--and I was trying to get him out) [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 10:41 PM
Mud in my Veins

I carry 2 heavy rubber floor mats (yeah, they work for their intended purpose too) just for this purpose. I saw a 1/2" cable take the top (the entire cab! [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]) off a 5ton wrecker. Didn't take long to jump on that bandwagon.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2002, 10:49 AM
Old Hand

btt
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2002, 01:15 PM

Not critisizing your methods, just have a question.
You say you strapped to a telephone pole. How safe is this? Is a telephone pole as sturdy as a tree? What kind of trouble could you get in if someone saw you strap to it?
Again, not trying to start trouble, I'm honestly curious about these questions.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2002, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Well the telephone pole was actually two of them together. One which was just put in about a year ago. So i had no fear pulling from them. If the eletric utility went by while i was doing that, they would probably ask me to stop. Or just ask what the hell i was doing. Probalbly ask what i the hell i was doing. Most people dont understand why you would tie down the back end of the winch vecihle.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2002, 08:40 PM

Yeah, especially when they see the thing pulled over by mistake.....

No, I have never seen that done ..... [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Why do you ask....

Cable safety is a big deal. a 9,000# winch is right at the breaking strength of 5/16" steel wire rope.... and that is not safety to me.

Of course, 3/8" wire rope is a major pain to work with, and heavy too.... and I still have 5/16" on my 8k winch.... but I know that 3/8" would be the safe thing to do. I don't want to get the plasma rope deal started again,but when I finally get the budget back, I will do 3/8" plasma for my winch.

but for pulling out trees, that is what the axe is for. There is nothing better for cutting roots than a good 'ole axe. Then they come right up out of the ground easy.

Best regards

John
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2002, 09:37 PM

Not that this trick is really winch safety, but it works well and that winch would not work as hard. I use an old steel rim for pulling shrubs with the winch. Tie a chain or strap around the bush-hook that to the winch cable and loop the winch cable over the steel rim. Your way the winch is pulling horizontal, with the rim in there, more force is transferred vertically to pull out the root. Much easier on the equipment.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2002, 12:47 AM
Mud in my Veins

this is another note on safety, though with a twist. back in high school we managed to get my friend's truck stuck about 100ft out into a shallow swamp. it had big wooden power poles going across it, and of course had those nice metal grounding straps running down the pole that you've yanked on all your life and never gotten shocked. WELL, to make a long story short, he was facing the wrong way to winch out, so we tried a comealong tied to one of the poles and his rear bumper. As I was working the comealong while sitting in a couple feet of water I noticed I was tingling all over so I stopped what I was doing and thought about that for a second, then went over to the pole and quickly realized that my wet body and the cable was a better conductor than the grounding strap on the pole, thus I had become a human grounding strap [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] So, if you're ever out in a swamp pulling from a power pole ( [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] ), remember to stick an insulator between your cable and that grounding strap if you dont want to be sterilized [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode