Pictures of todays welding - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Pictures of todays welding

OK. I ran out of wire, so iam finished screwing up the commando. I think the stuff will hold pretty good, if not i just weld again. The front patches on the cowl are OK. Very boogery, but it should hold and i can smooth it out.

This is the rear part of the tub. I cut it out right before the tub edge. It was rusted bad. So I got a 1/8 piece of flat stock and covered over it. It is going to be mush stronger than before. Yesterday i aptined everything i could with rust converter so the stuff underneath will hopefully last a couple of years.

All in all it was a learning experience. I was using .30 wire at the lowest speeds. Since I ran out now I will get the next size down wire for the other sheet metal repairs, and also get the big .40 so I can do my other bigger stuff. I had an easier time with the rear patch with the 1/8 steel. Everything seems to stick real nice. Still a bit boogery and a little high of a weld, but I am still not finished, but i believe it will hold for me. Next portion of the bost is to patch some the sides and rockers and install my floorboards. I have to find a way to put some bracing on the floors, i cut out the old stuff. I think I am going to use some pieces of my unistrut to brace the floors. Much stronger than the orginal supports. I just have to do some work and notch the old remaining support so they will work with the new supportunder the new floor. Also I finally found a pushrod for my brakes so the beast will be drivable real soon.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 06:49 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Pictures of todays welding

Did you run out of argon during those first couple of pics. That is what those welds look like. If you didnt run out of argon then you need more heat. I also think alot of the problem is the old steel is rusty crusty.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

What I forgot to indicate during my first post is that I am using just Flux core wire. My wlder has teh provision for Argon gas, but I can't get to the welding shop to pick up a tank, so I am kind of stuck right now. By the way how much does argon gas cost? I might have to enlist the help of a friend that works in town to go by the place and pick me up some gas. I do not have a tank as is for teh welder, i do have the regualtor and hoses and such, but no gas [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
I know working with gas would be much nicer, but I don't hav it yet. I will eventually [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Especially around the cowl part the old metal is rusty inside and I have no way of getting to it, because the wonderful people at AMC decided to make it a viod behind the cowl and you cant easily get to it. I did have it on the lowest setting and it did melt through in places. But yeah I can totally understand the metal being weak. It was. I did cut a good bit out, but It is still there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 07:12 PM
Enthusiast

We are assuming you have a mig. Hold the arc closer. Also if you can locate a peice of flat copper or brass plate you canuse it as a heat sink to keep from burning through. Just clamp the two peices to it as a backing strip. The .025 wire and low heat will work well. You can also stitch it tegether by spot welding every inch or so and going back and doing a spot in between then another until you have a solid weld.

-o-----o-----o-----o
-o--o--o--o--o--o--o
-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-
oooooooooooooo

Kinda like that if you can understand my crude example.
Good luck! Welding is fun and gives you a "Built not bought" Jeep that has your signature on it.

Jackie
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 07:49 PM

It looks brittle?!
TJ
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 08:08 PM

[img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] I like the rust better [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 08:16 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Here's a thought. Is there a breeze out when you were welding? The protective gases given off by the burning wire's core could be blown away and would cause problems with the welds.

just a thouhgt.

Fritz
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 08:52 PM

I think that thin rusty metal like what you are welding is one of the hardest scenarios in welding. The thin metal just wants to vaporize as you just get the the bead going. The easiest way to avoid welding that kind of metal is to cut it back to good thicker metal and weld in a new piece.
Good luck.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 09:01 PM

Comparing the welds on the back (clean metal) vs. the cowl, I'd say you're having a problem with rusty/thin metal on the cowl. It ain't easy getting a nice weld on sheet with flux core, and with the metal in poor condition it's almost impossible. I was able to get semi-decent welds using .30 flux core on the tub by first cutting back to good metal and spot-stitching. I patched in both door frames from a donor tub that way.

I'd just grind over what you have then make another pass welding to strengthen it as much as possible. Unless you're worried about it being real purty it'll be fine [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 09:19 PM

Also, if you haven't done it allready, try mig welding in small bursts. It helps get wire onto what you are welding and minimizes heat by allowing the metal to cool slightly between bursts.
In your case, gas welding might be a good alternative to mig welding. it is slower but you can control the heat more effectively, which will keep you from burning the thin metal.
Either way, it takes skill and patience to weld thin metal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode