Distributor gasket??!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

Distributor gasket??!!

I yanked my distributor out to check the gear that mates to the camshaft, and also took the opportunity to reset everything (#1 cyl TDC using a socket on the crank, rotor on distributor pointing to #1 tower, etc)...
And in the process of doing all this last night I found what appears to be 1/2 of a gasket of some sort where the shaft of the distributor mates to the block.
I checked through my Haynes and Chiltons manuals and they both show a gasket for the 2.5L, but not the 4.2L.
So I wandered down to my local 24 hour Autozone (not much else is open at 10:30 at night) and asked them if they showed a gasket for my 90 4.2L and of course being Autozone..they didn't show anything, but a comical argument between two counter guys quickly ensued. One said there is one, the other said there isn't.

Long story short, I'm a little confused here. There was physically a gasket (half of one anyway) on the block/distributor. Both manuals say no.

So, final answer....is there supposed to be a gasket that goes on the distributor where it meets the block?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 02:11 PM

Re: Distributor gasket??!!

Yes. Just use RTV instead, it works better anyways.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 06:50 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I would be more concerned with where the other half of the gasket went when you pulled the distributor?!?! [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

If you use RTV, won't the seal break the next time you set the timing? Just a thought. I don't know if there is supposed to be a gasket under the dist., but mine can use one. It leaks there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 08:38 PM

There should be some sort of seal or it will leak.If there isn't a O-ring then it should have a gasket. Its not a critical part you don't have to worry about a thin paper gasket causing miss alginment of the gear or anything so as long as the hole size is right any gasket should work just make sure it a thin gasket.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 10:06 PM

You can make one from some gasket stock, or cut one out of card board.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 10:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I had a gasket on my 258 CJ5 - when it tore (setting timing and noticed something sticking out), I replaced it with a thin (.025") bronze machine bushing. I picked it up at Ace hardware for about $1.50 - no fear of it tearing, and it never leaked either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode