OT- Welding advice needed :) MIG - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

OT- Welding advice needed :) MIG

I'm taking welding classes at a local college and I'm working on MIG now [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]. I've been having a little trouble with welding vertical up. I've been able to get 80-100% penetration but with undercut and a sagging bead. I'm trying to get rid of the undercut and make a flatter bead. Any suggestions? Also, sometimes the wire feeder gets a little erratic and seems to stop and start as I'm welding [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img], breaking the arc and then spattering when it restarts [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]. I've tried adjusting the roller tension. Is there anything else I need to look for? The teacher hasnt been able to find anything wrong with the machine [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]. Could it be my technique? Sometimes its as though the wire breaks off as it comes out the gun [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]. And another question while I have your attention [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]. I've been trying to get the welder to use spray transfer, so I can see if it works while vertical. I've increased the voltage at different ranges, as much as 27 V [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] and the wire speed on the low and high but I havent been able to get it the spray consistently. Is there a fine point at which it will work? [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] The power supply is a Miller XMT, set on DCRP. The wire feeder is some sort of Miller unit with .035 wire. Thanks for the help [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 12:59 PM
Pooh-Bah

Re: OT- Welding advice needed :) MIG

I'm sure you will get great tips from people here, but here is another bbs I found out about when I got my new Hobart
Hobart Welding BBS
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 01:10 PM
jeepfiend

IT sounds like you might have a stick-out issue. Try running the gun a little father from the work, try about 3/8 inch and see what that nets you. Check your wire speed, it sounds like you are a little slow. You say you are running MIG, or is it flux core? Vertical is tricky, keep practicing and it will come.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

Thanks [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
I've adjusted the stickout some and have found that it seems to work better with it closer, lessing popping. Its hard to tell while I'm welding but its usually around 3/8" stickout. But someone also told me to adjust the depth that the contact tip is within the nozzle, he said bring it to within 1/8" of the end of the nozzle. Right now its a good half inch in. [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] I know that will heat it up quicker but I guess contact tips are cheap? Its MIG wire, not flux cored. The flux core is supposed to be easier to get to spray. [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] Oh yeah, the shielding gas is 75% argon/25% CO2.
Thanks
Andy
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 03:12 PM

Also try a small horizontal movement and a faster travel speed. There is a way that works best for each and every one.
The link to the hobart school is cool. It's in my hometown. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I've been there many a time for cert. tests. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode