Welding Sheemetal... need some encouragement - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Welding Sheemetal... need some encouragement

Man.. welding sheetmetal is a pain in the a$$. I got the patch tacked onto the body of the commando. Now that I start wleding an inch at a time, i am metling through the metal. I have it on the lowest setting and the wire speed as real slow, but it is still burning through. Also i am not getting a continuos burn. It keeps staring and starting and sputtering. I ahve it cleaned real good. As for the ground i have the clamp on the door hinge right next to the piece. How do i get a better ground to the patch when i can't physically clamp it to the metal.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 10:00 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Welding Sheemetal... need some encouragement

What size wire are you using. You can get away with 30 but you better be good. 23 is much better for sheetmetal. I would stop where you are take some scrape and play until you get it down. You may want to try stinging it then stop move then sting again. The old metal may be too thin to handle the heat and probably should have been cut out farther. Good luck, I hate body work.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 10:08 AM

Make sure you have clean metal where your clamping the ground to. Also you said you have the wire real slow if your burning through you should turn the wire speed up (faster). Also you could try to weld a couple secs. release trigger then weld a few more secs.then release repeat this on-off-on-off its called stitch welding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 10:15 AM

increasing the wire speed might help you.

also, if that ground clamp isnt on shiny fresh metal, move it or grind/wire brush that spot.

a thick copper block held behind the joint might help you take some heat away also.

I hve before welded stainless so thin that I had no choice but to shoot, move ,shoot ,move, serioulsy a bunch of tacks, eventually you get the seam sealed, then a bit of grinding, but then you have to be careful not to heat and warp it with the grinding heat

post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Well this is a learning experience. I have the two front patches in. Not the prettiest, but I think i goobered it up enough, that it will hold when i grind it down to smooth it, then add some filler later. It isnt a beauty queen. There was alot of rust there so i can see it thinned out alot. What i did was not to make a long bead but stiches from top to bottom so i could get some metal there and if i burned a hole, o could ad metal. I banged on it with a hammer and sems a bit sturdy. It isnt at a place where it is taking alot of stress. I am using .30 wire it is a bit big, but i have no other. It is working, but not pretty. I will get though it. I also hate doing body work. but this part of the commando was rusted right away so it needed a patch. I will ad some fiberglas later and sand my best to clean it up. And I think i have learned my lesson in not welding in shorts and sneakers with small itty bitty socks. I have multiple burns on my ankles now. Given it is florida and i dobt I can weld in full armor in the heat. But lets say this little patch job did give me some practice at welding. I saw those copper spoons they sell at eastwood, and i think i am going to get a et. much easier.

Thanks for pep talk. I will take some picks of my ugly welding work of art.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 11:44 AM

Actually, if your welding patches, a series of spot welds is better. Dont do them right after ine another, but start one, goto the opposite side and spot there. then to another side and so on. This way, you dont get too much heat in the panel and warp the hell out of it. Eventually as you go around the panel, the spots will all connect and the panel is fully welded. Copper spoons also help to disipate the heat to eliminate warping. When your done, grind the welds and fill it in.
TJ
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 01:04 PM
jeepfiend

Are you running flux core or solid wire with gas. If you are running flux core, you will have some serious problems. I would recommend .030 or smaller wire and running with gas. Flux core runs too hot to use on sheet metal.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 03:07 PM

As was mentioned do a bunch of spot/tack welds. That is the best way to keep the heat down. Also the copper spoons.....find a piece of copper 1/4" thick and 2-5" dia and held it right behind the area being welded.(tight) It will remove heat and won't stick to that you are welding. And third, if you burn a hole.....stop......pull back the tip of the gun 1-3" and you can "dob" it back in. It works like a spider web to help with the visual.
Have fun.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 08:09 PM

Rather then buy copper spoons get some scrape copper pipe and put it in a vice and squeeze or hammer one end flat. Then cut off a old broom handle and fasten it in the other.

If you use it for a long time the wood will start to smoke so just throw it in a bucket of water to cool it off. Its alot cheaper and works just as good as the ones you buy.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 10:23 PM

Hey DanStew,
When you get it down let me know I am going to drag mine across the alley and get you to do mine. My CJ Has holes all over it and that is my next task. Also something I would strongly reccomend is POR-15, I bought a quart of it and have been painting up all the rust spots to postpone the weld in fix and this stuff is good! [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] There are some spots that I was planning on welding but I think the paint has taken care of it. Well good luck with the body work put up some pics and let me know what tricks work best. One thing that might help on the ground is tacking the ground lead right to your new piece of metal, I am not sure if this will work in your application but I have seen it done before.
Take Care, Brandon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode