NOISE COMING FROM MY REAR AXLE - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 07:37 AM
1stjeep

NOISE COMING FROM MY REAR AXLE

I need to find out whats wrong with my rearend when i go from forward to reverse i get a popping sound from the hub area. I have heared that the axles are two piece what does that mean? Does it mean that the hub and the shaft are two pieces. I have a 80 cj7.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 08:57 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: NOISE COMING FROM MY REAR AXLE

its means I hope you have $300. The rear axle in your jeep is the AMC 20. it can be made into a stiout piece by installing 1 pc axles from a variety of places (moser,and othes). it sounds like you have spun the 2 pc hubs apart. whatever you do...DO NOT just put a new 2 pc axleshaft in it.. the other side WILL fail as well...
$300 is the going price for the 1 pc axle kits.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 06:28 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Yep, sounds like you spun one.

If you don't have a lot of money, just throwing a 2 piece back in may be the way to go. Use some "Loctite Seal and Bearing Retainer" when you assemble it, and torque it to 350 ft-lbs (250 is standard). It'll hold for awhile, but it's still prone to the same problem. The good news is you can usually pick them up cheap, I have given away a lot of them to other people. In case you didn't know, you have a narrow track axle, not a wide track, assuming it's stock.

Don't get me wrong, the 1 piece axle upgrade is worth the swap and worth the money, I am only mentioning this in case funds are at a minimum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2002, 08:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I agree; if funds are scarce just do another two piece. One thing I don't see mentioned often: if and when you do put together a two piece axle, don't pay too much attention to the torque required for the big nut, pay attention to how much the axle shaft sticks past the hub. There is a specification for this. I used an 8 foot pipe with 3/4 inch drive socket tools to crank the nut to get the "stickout" spec correct. And check both sides. I've had no problems for years.
Good luck
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2002, 08:43 PM
1stjeep

Thanks for the replies and the cheaper way sounds good for now.I'am going to swap them out sometime in the future. I'am getting ready to swap out the 4 banger to a 302 so my money is on that now but will the 2 piece axle hold up or just break quickly. I'am still driving it around is this dangerous.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2002, 11:53 PM
I Do This For The Glory

If it spins badly, the wheel won't fall off, it'll just spin. You'll lose power going to the rear end, so you'll have to drive home in front wheel drive. If it's not spinning too badly take it easy but it needs to be replaced as soon as possible because it could let go at any time. The new 2 piece one could also do the same thing at any time, it's a crap shoot as to how long it'll stay together, which is why a lot of people upgrade them. I know a lot of people using V-8's in front of the AMC20 with the 1 piece shafts though. I personally like the D44 better, but the AMC will withstand a lot of abuse.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2002, 08:53 AM
Official Historian

I've seen the one piece kits advertised for $199 now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode