Frame change second hurdle - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2002, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Official Curmudgeon

Frame change second hurdle

The body is off the frame, well basically. I've got yellow pine 2x8s, aged around my old waterbed for 30 years, under the body. The back one is resting on the tires and the front one is just behind the T176 shift tower and blocked up off of the side nerf bars. Was gonna build up a couple saw horses as someone once suggested here but I think I'll go the concrete blocks instead. Gotta go get the blocks and then it's roll the frame out time.

So far the only thing I did bad was forget to take the tranny out of reverse before I pulled the shift lever out. I almost stretched a couple ground wires that went to the back of the engine, but I caught them in time. I did break the tube off of the windshield washer. I don't know how that happened, it wasn't looped around anything, I checked. Maybe one of the battery cables fell and hit it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2002, 12:34 PM

Re: Frame change second hurdle

a are tub doesnt weigh much, I lifted mine off by myself with the help of some ski rope, and a rafter, I lifted the front rested it on my knee, tied the rope to it, then did the same for the rear, then rolle the frame out!

it was a struggle for a freind and myself to carry the tub about 50 feet down a hill in my backyard to its "storage area"

the frame looks dinky doesnt it? especaially with the stock narrow axles. it looks like a go cart

post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2002, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Official Curmudgeon

Mine's pretty light, it's an AJ's fiberglass, two of us could pick it up and walk around with it. It's pretty heavy now because it's still got the windshield, battery, dash, seats, rollbar, everything attached. I didn't even pull out the floor mats.

This will be the third time I've had the body off. First time to put the glass body on. Then again 2 years later to have it painted. And know for the frame change. Hope this is the last time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2002, 01:03 PM
YJchris

New to this forum. Finally going to stop using the YJ as a daily driver. Time for some mods. [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] First off, I'd like to remove the body and refinish the frame (POR-15). Can any of you tell me all thats involved in removing the body??? Also I'm looking for fellow jeepers in my area that would be interested getting together and working on our jeeps. I've got a decent set of tools and plenty of room to work. I also have an air compressor, but no air tools just yet. I'm looking for someone with some knowledge who may not have the space or may need a helping hand. I live in NorthEast Ohio and could use some expertise on the 258 inline six, axle swaps, welding, etc... let's talk shop.

YJchris out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode