Rear Differential yoke seal. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2002, 09:58 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Rear Differential yoke seal.

Any experienced seal replacers out there. Whats the magic trick to replacing a leaky yoke seal on Dana 44 rear? Yes I'm a bit new but excited about digging in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2002, 01:09 PM

Re: Rear Differential yoke seal.

Nothing really. Remove the nut and yoke, pry out the old seal, carefully tap the new one in, put yoke back on, retorque pinion nut.

The only trick I know of is to use an impact gun to remove the nut. If you're careful, you can use it to reinstall the nut. To be safe, it's recommended that you use a new nut, but I've never lost an old one after reinstalling.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2002, 03:54 PM
Spike5421

Removing that seal can be a pain, I would recommend a seal puller from Sears. It looks like a handle with a downward pointing hook on each end for prying, they cost @ $10.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2002, 05:47 PM

That nut can be a pain to get undone so an impact really helps. using a couple small screw drivers can really help get the seal out.

BarrelRoll
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 06:17 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Using a seal puller like the one from Sears means you will have to disassemble the rear axle to remove the pinion.

You can use a drill and make a few holes, then grab the holes with a pick or insert some screws, then pull on them to get the old one off. It'll get demolished, but it'll do that anyway. Tap the new one in place very easily so as not to damage it. Also, don't drill too far into the seal or you could hit the large washer that resides behind it. If you ro drill, use some grease on the end of the tip so any shavings will get caught in it and not go into the axle.

When in doubt, disassemble the axle though, that way you know it'll be done right.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 08:46 PM
Keyboard Implanted

In my experience/observations I've found that a leaking pinion seal usually meant that there were pinion "issues" ..hence the seal getting torn up.

If it fails again in a relatively few months/miles plan on a little more work.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2002, 09:07 AM
I Do This For The Glory

It's possible there could be pinion issues, but then again, it could be dry from sitting and when put into service starts leaking. They're cheap and easy to put on, if the new one leaks I'd look into it further.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2002, 11:39 PM

One thing I learned about pinion seals (most seals) is most Aftermarket Autoparts places sell you a cheapy single lip seal but if you go to the dealer you get a much better double lip seal that last alot longer. Sometimes its worth getting small stuff like seals from the dealer or atleast make sure you get a double lip seal from the Autoparts store
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2002, 07:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Use a punch to mark the nut, yoke and pinion so that the marks can be aligned when you put it back together. Count the number of turns it takes to get the nut off. If you use a new yoke or nut, this won't work obviously.
I clamped a bar to the outside of the yoke with two C clamps to keep the yoke from turning while I took off the nut.
Pound a sharp drywall screw into the metal ring of the seal, once it pierces the metal, screw it in some, grasp it with pliers and pry out the seal.
Use loctite on the nut when you put it back together.
good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode