'Cage mounting - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2002, 10:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

\'Cage mounting

Now that the interior is finished, it's on to the "fun" part - reassembly. Normally I'd use nothing less than grade 8 fasteners, but finances are a hair tight, and I'm wondering if I can get away with grade 5 or 2. No competition or serious crawling in this rig's future, just old mining/fire roads and the occasional moderate trail.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2002, 12:02 AM

Re: \'Cage mounting

Grade 5 is fine, and some will even argue preferable to grade 8 because they'll give a little without snapping. Grade 2 "might" hold up in a mild roll but what you should ask yourself is, "is my life and the lives of those driving with me worth the difference in price between the weak and strong bolts." [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] I've snapped many a grade 2 just torquing them down so don't think I'd trust 'em.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2002, 12:10 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

That's kind of what I figured - the cost between 5 and 2 is only about 3 cents a whack, so 5 it is. Thanks[img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2002, 12:18 AM
Old Hand

When it comes to something serious as to bolting in a cage, and or other vital parts on a vehicle that would either mean getting me home or stranded on the trail I choose to spend the extra money. Especially on something so small in price. (Compared to axles, tire, [size/[price)

As far as bolts, you can buy grade 8 bolts by the lb at some places, and this is a lot cheaper and worth your whilein the long run. I always carry extras of all major bolts and parts etc...

That's my opinion..

I`d rather not be stranded and have to hike it our hitch a ride to the road where I can use my cell phone or what not..

post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2002, 12:44 AM
Mud in my Veins

in my opinion, (whether you want it or not!) it is silly to cheap out on bolts. i picked up 10 Gr8 bolts, nuts, and 10 washers, along with 5 extra cap screws for my lockouts for a total sum of under $5 at the local bolt specialty store. those bolts were like 15 cents a piece... absolutely no reason to skimp on quality. look around for such a store in your area, they'll be 1/10 the price of Lowe's or most any place because they deal in quantity and dont have much overhead. I would go with Gr8 but Gr5 should be fine considering the distribution of the load and the fact that both have amazing shearing strengths compared to the stuff they're holding together.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2002, 12:50 AM
Old Hand

[img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] YA [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2002, 01:01 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've also got a bunch of 316 stainless stuff laying around (everything from -20 up to 7/16) - would they be strong enough to suffice?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2002, 06:27 AM

Every mention of stainless steel bolts that I can recall says that they are equivalent to grade 2 or less. Don't trust them for anything important that has a significant load. And anyplace you do use SS fasteners, give them a good coat of antisieze, or else you'll never get them apart.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2002, 09:16 AM
Pooh-Bah

If you have a Tractor Supply in your area, they sell all sizes of grade 8 for $2.99 a pound. And usually, when you take them to the counter, they scan the $.99 tag on the register. I got 9 pounds of grade 8 for about 10 bucks. Just picked up a big bag of assorted sizes.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2002, 11:34 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

No dice on Tractor Supply - I ended up ordering a box from McMaster Carr, along with all the other hardware I know I need at this point. Cheap enough - actually cheaper than a box of #8 sheetmetal screws at Home Depot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode