Cheap option to a wirng harness - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2002, 06:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Cheap option to a wirng harness

Hey! I have a 74' cj-5. I know it runs because I got it off of my neighbor who used to drive it. However, he got the brilliant idea to start cutting wires sooo... I am stuck having to put out 400 (or more for instalation) on a wiring harness. I was wondering if there is a way to wire up the thing so it just runs to the engine through like a toggle or something?? It is only going to be used for muddin so it aint got to be street legal. I dont need lights or a radio. I just need a working mudtruck thats doesnt take any more of my money!! Any help would be greatly appreciated. <font color="red"> </font color>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2002, 11:00 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Cheap option to a wirng harness

There are a few things that need to be figured out.

1. I think it would be a good idea to plan on having the alternator charge the battery, even if you just need the Jeep vehicle for mudding.

2. There are only a few aftermarket switches that will handle up to 20 amps, and even fewer after market switches that can handle up to 30 amps.

There are aftermarket dash mounted starting switches that can handle the kind of amps your Jeep needs. I think you need just three wires to an aftermarket starter switch. One of the wires will be a wire to the positive battery post. One of the wires will be a wire to the starter solenoid. One of the wires will be a wire to the ignition coil.
dave
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2002, 11:43 PM

Re: Cheap option to a wirng harness

I would get one off eBay. There are usually a few on there. Here's one at $9.00: Wire Harness It's for an '81 but I'd think it'd be easier to adapt than try to wire yourself. Really, you probably couldn't buy regular wire from the local parts shop that cheaply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode