Semi OT - 350 or 454 identification - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2002, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

Semi OT - 350 or 454 identification

Okay, daddy has a 1955 chevy Bel Aire sitting in the garage. It is in need of a major resto, ground up. It has the stock I-6 from chevy and I'm going to replace it. What I need to know is how do I identify the 350 or 454 vs other 8s? Also, I'm looking for horse here, so what type vehicle is better to look in? One more thing, I wanting it to be carbed rather than EFI. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2002, 01:44 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: Semi OT - 350 or 454 identification

Well I'm no where near close to being an experts helper on a question like this but I have a few ideas. I know in 1970 at least the El Camino SS had 454 in it, and I'm assuming the other muscle cars of the same year and near years had that option as well. I'd be checking in El Camino's, Chevelles, Camaro's, et al . You could also maybe look into finding a crate motor and having it built from that. So you'd have a new block and everything. I don't know what the cost on any of this is, but I love American muscle cars and I'm glad there are people like you wanting to keep them alive.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2002, 01:51 PM

A motor's a motor no matter what frame and body they put it in. Now, there are modifications particular to some types of vehicles, like Corvettes or certain Camaros, etc, but for the most part any vehicle with a 350 or 454 should suit you. Chevy made lots of vehicles with each. 454s are found much more often in pickups, although they made a few Monte-Carlos and Chevelles with them as well. Most of your 70's/80's land yachts of Chevy breed also came thus equipped. However, your chances of finding a V8 are dramatically increased when you look at pickups.

While I'm opening up options you'd probably rather forget, ever thought of putting a Caddy 500cid into your BelAir? That would have some nice getup...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2002, 02:34 PM

Here's a nifty site with all kinds of info on SBC and BBC blocks and heads. It even tells you where to look on the heads and blocks to find the casting #'s. This should help you identify then, however, it won't tell you what vehicles to look in. Just as everyone else said - many trucks have V8's in them. The older 70/80's auto typically came with V8's. Your chances of finding a high HP engine from a late 60's muscle car is slim to none and if you do find it you'll pay a pretty penny.

Personally for a vehicle like that I would go with a stout small block - something like the ZZ4 model.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2002, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

Dmaciag, Where is the URL? I don't see it. Another question I forgot to ask is other than mileage, what should I be checking for as far as a good engine? I'm new to this, so any and all info will help.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2002, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Fullygruntled,

I know a 350 will mount in the Bel Aire with no modification, but I don't know about the Caddy motor. although, that would be a sweet motor to drop in..............
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2002, 10:45 PM

425HP 409CID. Biiitchiin. [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2002, 11:32 PM
47WillysCJ2A

It all depends on what you want to get out of an engine. If you want big horses then you are pretty much better off going with a crate engine. I had a buddy that built a 440 for a Scout and he ended up with a 550 hp engine but it cost him around $9K to get it. For $4599 you can get a 425hp 454 crate engine and for around 4k you can get a 383. The also have the 502/502 crate engine as well. 502 hp from 502 CID. I read a writeup on the 383 and for a total investment of about 5K they got one to produce 463 hp and 503 lb-ft of torque. I think it would be very hard to match those kinds of numbers for less than that. Here's a link to a crate engine site you might want to check out. http://shop.store.yahoo.com/gofast/gmcrateengines.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode