Opinions On Tractor Tires And Axles - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2002, 09:30 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Opinions On Tractor Tires And Axles

Well, our neighboor has some old tractors from the previous owner of the house that was a 99 year old farmer. There are a ton of old tractors sitting out there taking up space. I asked him how much he wants for some tires, and he said that I can have anything I want off of them! Well, I figure I might as well put some of those heavy duty pieces of art to work, right? Especially since I can get all this stuff for FREE! [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

So, my question is, what do you guys think of running tractor axles and tires on my Jeep? Of course, it will be ONLY for trailriding, and nothing else. What kind of power train would I need to move this sucker? I have a 350 and TH350 that I would like to use, and have an NP203 coming my way. Would that be able to move the axles and tires? I would use it for some mud bogs, trailriding, and just some field bombing on our property. I know I would have to have a custom driveshaft made for this. Any thoughts on this setup? I know that some people have done this before, but can't find any links that give drivetrain specs. Thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2002, 09:39 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Opinions On Tractor Tires And Axles

I bet that you wouldn't break them. They are super rugged. I think that you would be looking at a pile of fab work to even get them to fit. How wide are they?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2002, 09:40 AM
Official Historian

Are those axles bolted to the tractor's transmission or is there a seperate driveshaft? Is there a front wheel drive axle?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2002, 09:52 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well, I would be extending the wheelbase anyway, and shorten up the body and tub her out so the tires are the widest thing on there. So I would have to fab up a whole new system anyway. I haven't taken a good look at them yet, but if I remember right there is a tractor there that has 4WD, so therefore it would have to be connected with some kind of shaft, so I don't think the rear is bolted to the tranny. If there is one that is like that, is it useless? Or is there something I could get somewhere that would allow me to adapt up a shaft? I am completely new to this, but am willing to do the work required to put those pearls to use!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2002, 07:48 PM

I would bet you anything that the rear is bolted to the thanny. If I were you I would look for a 6x6 and use the axles like you would for a monster truck. I had a chance to buy a 6x6 for $350.00 a few years ago so I know that you could find some thing for a $500.00 or $600.00. This would make for a real good truck. The tractors would be almost imposible to build in to a truck. I would grab a set of 4 tires and a spare for your truck,and grab the 4x4 tractor and rebuild it. I know where there is a junk yard with a lot of 6x6's not to far from dresser maybe 1 1/2 hours at the most. Let me know if you want more info.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2002, 09:20 PM
Mud in my Veins

yeah, all tractors i've ever dealt with had an integrated rear axle that wouldnt be possible to swap into another vehicle without also bringing the tranny and part of the frame. the front axles are on a pivot sorta thing, but would be pretty easy to swap in i would think. MUDITUP is on the right track, you can pick up those deucy 6x6 trucks dirt cheap off govliquidation.com and use the front and one of the rear axles. according to usa6x6.com, if you install their shaved bottom piece for the housing, you can actually get over an inch better clearance than a D44, with greater strength than a D60 [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2002, 02:25 PM

I was at my friends farm a couple weeks ago and we realized that one of the tractors (i'm not up on my farm equipment so i have no clue what it actaully was) Looked to have 8 lug wheels and tires that were about 38" tall and narrow. One thing to keep in mind is most tractors have bigger tires in the rear than in the front so i'm guessing the gear ratios would be different and i have no clue if swapping gears is possible or if you can get front lockers but those would be things to think about.

BarrelRoll
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2002, 05:28 PM
Official Curmudgeon

You could just leave the smaller tires on the Jeep and use it for the street. Then, take the 4wd tractor complete, strip it down and put another Jeep body on it.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2002, 10:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

But you see Taz, that just takes all the fun out of building, screaming, and crying at the thing to make it into something cool! [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Oh, and Muditup4x4, I shot you a PM.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2002, 10:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Or not... Muditup, says you don't accept private messages. But I really want more information. E-mail me at [email protected] with more info. Thanks man!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode