Steering Gearbox Problem - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2002, 06:38 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Steering Gearbox Problem

I have am '84 CJ7 and the steering gearbox was leaking so I bought a kit to replace the seals. It was leaking from where the steering shaft goes in, so I unscrewed the cap and replaced the seal. Then I got stupid and thought that maybe I should see what else needs to be replaced. The input shaft screwed out of the housing easy, and on the other end there was a worm gear. Seemed simple, so I replaced a few ring seals and o-rings on it and tried to put it back in. I got it back together but when I tried to turn the wheel (Jeep not running) nothing happen, when I started the Jeep and turned the wheel the wheels turns but turn lock to lock with only a partial turn of the wheel. I know I messed up but where, maybe the worm gear isn't engaging, I don't know any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2002, 06:49 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Steering Gearbox Problem

sounds like your gear timing maybe off in the gear box.is this manual or power? I'm guessing power from you reference to ......when I started the Jeep and turned the wheel the wheels turns.... just wanted to clear that up sense it wasn't stated. Anyway, the gears in your steering box are suppose to be timed or lined up on center so that x turns to theleft is equal to x turns to the right. you might need to get out the haynes manual and fix it the right way instead of just replacing seals. that is if you haven't messed it up already [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

good luck
brent
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2002, 07:07 AM
Old Hand

If you've pulled the input shaft out (which is something the manual tells you not to do and to make sure you hold this shaft so it doesn't come out while you take the adjuster plug out) you probably lost the recirculating balls inside the box. These will drop out if you pull the shaft out. Your only option is to further dismantle the box from the pitman arm side as well and follow the proper procedures on reinserting these balls. I've got this procedure as a pdf which I can mail you if you wish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2002, 07:08 AM
Official Historian

[img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I've been there and done that. I bet when you took it out you heard a lot of "clink, clink, clink" sounds of the ball bearings dropping into the bottom of the steering gear. [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] From here, you'll have to remove the steering gear. You'll need to take off the snap ring on the end and take off the big round cover. Doing this will let you recover all the missing balls. Next, take off the top cover. Under here you will see a diagonal tube. Unbolt it and take it out. With the input shaft in, start inserting the balls into one of the holes. When they start to come out of the other hole, stop. Now, coat the inside of the tube with vasoline and insert the rest of the balls. Put the tube back across the holes and clamp it down. Put the round cover and snap ring back in. Put the top cover back on. Now find the adjusting procedures in a repair manual, get a beam type in-lb torque wrench and adjust it.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2002, 07:56 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hooch if you could email the pdf file I would appreciate it. Email is [email protected] Thanks.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2002, 08:06 AM
Old Hand

I need something else than a Yahoo account as the file is rather large and Yahoo won't accept it... Also as to Will's post: The balls are different in color (black and silver) and you have to alternate them when you insert them.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2002, 08:14 AM
Official Curmudgeon

Could you give me the # and manuf name off of the box the seal came in. I need one but my parts guy's database doesn't show anything but the $50 kit.

Sorry to be a nuisance with this question while you're having problems.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2002, 08:25 AM
Old Hand

Hey Taz, my input shaft seal kit was from Crown Automotive. I've got the part no at home. I'll look it up when I get home tonight.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2002, 09:06 AM
Official Historian

I didn't know about the different colored balls in the CJ gear. Interesting. The one I rebuilt because of that was on my Dodge pickup.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2002, 09:15 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Try my work email [email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode