CJ- Taillight problem? Need help ASAP - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2002, 01:17 AM Thread Starter

CJ- Taillight problem? Need help ASAP

I cant seem to get my taillights to work on my CJ. I am not sure when they went out, but they are out. I checked the bulbs sockets and fuses.Bulbs are good, sockets look fine, no blown fuses? One thing I am wondering about is the marker lights? Oh yeah My brake lights work, same buld diff element? Are the tail lights and side marker lights on front fenders on the same circuit, wired in series? So if the marker light is gone none will work? Or something similiar. The marker lights are in bad shape, not even sure if the are hooked up?

Any Ideas on where to start? Going on a fishing trip this weekend and would like to take the jeep, but I need taillights.

Thanks for your help
Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2002, 02:35 AM

Re: CJ- Taillight problem? Need help ASAP

I wouldnt worry a bit if your marker lights arent working, heck mine arent even there on my cj5, the whole plug and all is gone, My biggest problem with getting tail lights to work was the ground, there was too much rust on my body that I had to run seperate ground wires to the frame, worked for me...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2002, 06:25 AM

If the brake lights are full brightness, it's not a ground problem. The brake light filiment and the tail light filiment are in tthe same bulb, and use the same ground. If the front parking lights don't work either, I'd suspect the ignition switch.

The parking/tail lights are fed with a white 16 gauge wire that runs from the switch to the firewall connector, where the front lights get their power. From there, to the rear, it runs through a harness connector, to the left tail light, the left side marker, the right tail light and the right side marker, in that order. According to the '78 FSM.

The power for all the lights goes from the battery directly to the switch. There is no fuse in the line; just a fusible link in the engine compartment. The switch has a thermal circuit breaker that takes care of all of the light circuits.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2002, 07:44 AM

You mean headlight switch not ignition switch, right Jim_Lou?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2002, 08:16 AM

Yes, HEADLIGHT switch. Who changed that? [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

I like to tell folks that that is what happens when the brain works faster than the fingers. Sounds good, doesn't it?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2002, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

one time a few onths ago I was driving the jeep on the beach, and when i was on my way home the headlights stopped working. The dimmer switch got filled with crud and sand and stopped working. I just unplugged it and hard wired together the two wires for the low beam connection.

Could this have anything to do with this? What should I do about the headlight switch? Just get a newone, or is their a way to test it?

Thanks
Tony
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2002, 01:35 PM

No, I don't think that your dimmer switch is related to the tail light problem.

You could test the headlight switch it by turning the parking lights on and putting a meter on the connector of the 16 gauge white wire at the switch and see if you have 12 volts or not. Or you could unplug the connector block from the switch and run a jumper from the battery straight to the white wire and see if the tail lights come on.

If the front parkling lights are working, it's not going to be a switch problem, as they come from the same terminal on the switch. In that case I'd suspect the connector in the wire harness to the back of the Jeep. That's less likely in my opinion, becaus ethe brake lights go through the same connector. Sorry I can't tell you exactly where it is. It shows up on the schematic, but nothing says where it is. I'd suspect to find it under the instrument panel somewhere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode