35's on a 89 wrangler? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 03:22 PM
jrshelby

35\'s on a 89 wrangler?

Looking for some expert advise. I tried to search for some info, but came up empty. I have an 89 Wrangler, 4 banger, with 3" body lift and 3.5" suspension lift. Time for new tires, and 35's are my preference. They look like they'll fit with no problem. My concern is with the axles, engine, gears and brakes. Will the 35's be to much stress for these parts? I'm running 32's now and 5th gear is usless and any incline needs a down shift.
Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 03:44 PM

Re: 35\'s on a 89 wrangler?

If 32" are that hard on it now, then 35" will only be worse.. You will probobly have to upgrade in order to run them (i.e. better gear ratios, more HP's, etc).. This is one of the most frequently asked questions so you should be able to find a lot of info through the search.. Here is one similar post..

http://bbs.off-road.com/ubbthreads/s...rue#Post745122

Good luck...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2002, 05:38 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I don't think I would put 35's on stock axels. Without a R&P gear swap you are going to be burning a lot of clutch just to get moving, and if you wheel it you better get used to the smell. Tires that big are also super heavy, that little 4 banger wont have much fun pushing those things around
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2002, 07:20 AM
jrshelby

Thanks for the info on the other post. I'm still trying to figure out the best way to use the search feature.
I decided to go with the 33's for now. MTBaja Claw radials, on 15X8 342b pacers. Hopefully my axles will hold up long enough, for my "jeep fund" savings account to catch up.

Does the 4 banger come stock with 4.11's? What is the best way to get axles? Should I try to save up and get new ones from like Currie Enterprise, or can I just try the local junk jard? If it's the junkyard, what year's,makes models, will work?
So much to learn......

Thanks again....

89 Wrangler, 4 Banger
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2002, 07:30 AM
jrshelby

Thanks, but what is a R&P swap? Is that ring and pinion? Sorry I'm still learning...But since we are on it. I have another question to post.

My four wheel drive has stopped working. Upon investigation I found that you can move the front drive shaft up and down, forward and back, left to right....you get the point.
So I took the cover off of the front differential and found all kinds off gook and some bearings. So, the part that is attached to the drive shaft that comes into the pumpkin is just floating around. Is there a part that is supposed to hold this in place? What is broke? How can I fix it?

Sorry I don't know what all the parts are called, I'm sure by time I fix this I will know all the parts and what does what...

Thanks.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2002, 08:40 AM
Pooh-Bah

Sounds like you will be doing a Ring and Pinion replacement.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2002, 09:23 AM
jrshelby

Are you refering to my running 35's or my loose front drive shaft?
I'm gonna go with the 33's for now and I think I've got 4.11's...If that's what comes stock in the 4 banger 89 YJ.

If you are refering to the front drive shaft then;

The gears inside look fine, no teeth missing...Just found some ball bearings...What ever holds the yoke in place seems to be what busted. I don't know. Help. [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2002, 09:24 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Oh Boy ! sounds like you are in a world of mess. I am sorry but it sounds like your front R&P (ring and pinion) are toast. And Yes, all of the 4cyl 5speed YJ's came with 4.10 gears. In order to fix the problem you have You are at very least going to need a D30R (R stands for reverse rotation) (that means your pinion is on the upper half of the ring, far away from the ground) Rebuild kit. That has all the bearings and what not that you need. And depending on the damage you may need a new ring gear and pinion also.
If the front is that beat up, I would pull the cover on the rear too and check that out.
I think I may have a rebuild kit for that axel that I never used. PM me if you would like it, and I will check over the weekend to see if I can find it.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2002, 09:29 AM
Official Historian

If you can do an axle swap yourself, compare the cost to swap in another axle from a 4 cylinder YJ to the cost of rebuilding the one you have. It might be cheaper.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2002, 09:48 AM
jrshelby

Thanks, I'll shoot you a PM. How diffucult of a job is this? Basic back yard stuff, or high techy stuff? Someone else recommended trying to find another axle from the junk yard....Rosser jeep has a overhaul kit for the Dana 30, is this what you are talking about. It's $60...
If the back is bad also. would this be a good time to go to 4.56's? Or should I be O.K. with the 4.10's and 33's?

Thank you [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode