Making new shackles, need input. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Making new shackles, need input.

I am going to make some shackles out of 3/8" x 2" bar. I am going to use some 1" x 2" tube for the middle separater things. On my current shackles, the cross piece seems to be located towards the top of the shackle. I was either going to center it or off-set a little towards the bottom (ground). Any suggestions or reasoning why one way would be better than another? BTW, I am doing this to gain a little height and to improve a pretty weak looking existing setup.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 03:59 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: Making new shackles, need input.

I would forget about lifting it with shackles. It really plays havoc with steering geometry (caster specifically) real quickly. JMO however.

As long as you don't get any sping or hangar contact, I don't know why it would matter where you put the cross brace. .

Good Luck.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 04:03 PM

If your steering components are in good shape, then you don't have to worry about "havoc". I ran lift shackles with 4" springs and no swaybar, no steering problems whatsoever. It does change your caster angle, but if you keep the shackles on the mild side (1 1/2" or less), you should be all set.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

What specifically are the symptoms? My current shackles have 2 sets of holes. The springs were previously in the "upper" set of holes. This meant there was a couple inches a shackle hanging down below with another set of holes. I just dropped the springs down to the bottom holes. I would leave it the way it is except I don't think the shackles look "burley" enough. I have driven the Jeep on the freeway since droppig the springs (It only dropped it about more 1") and noticed no change in driving. I figured the amount of change would affect anything.

Do you think my change is small enough not to hurt?

Thanks
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 05:43 PM

The center brace in a shackle is usually offset to clear the mounting point or frame during suspension movement. The only way to really tell would be to work your suspension through it's full range of motion manually, like with a jack and watch for contact. You could also check on a test ramp if you have access to one. Most good 4x4 shops have a test ramp. I doubt you could feel shackle contact while driving. The problem with the shackle brace contacting the mount or frame is that it'll put undue stress on the mounting point and could eventually crack your frame.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2002, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

I measured my new length and it is 5" from hole to hole.

1. How much is this longer than stock?

2. Is this considered in teh safe zone for avoiding caster problems.

3. 2" bar seems pretty damn wide. Is this the "best" width to use.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode