steering prob - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 11:31 AM
JeepJohn

steering prob

ok first and foremost I know I need an alignment, but I'm throwing out some Q's.
The jeep is downright scarry driving @ above 45 mph. I installed a RE 4.5 lift and the first Q is
1. on the lift, the shackles are longer than stock, I guess they lift it, .5 for the 4.5" lift. that would mean the shackle is total, 1" longer than stock. I put in the (2 degree) shims but it is still scarry. has any one had the same prob on the RE lift? or any 4" lift, and what degree shims are you running. I know I need to get some new tie rod ends.
2. on the tie rod ends I could get the Avalanche H.D. for about $200 with HUGE tie rod & drag link or the stock set up for about $100, any opinions on those? is it worth the mony for the Avalanche upgrade withe the wimpy ends?
TIA!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 12:15 PM

Re: steering prob

1 inch longer shackles shouldn't make much difference unless they're thin wimpy ones. You may also want to check your steering box for excess play. For that matter check that the box is still mounted securely to the frame. That spot on the frame has a tendency to develop a crack from years of abuse and I've heard of a loose box causing steering problems. I have a 4" lift in my CJ and have similar highway manners. Sorry, I don't remember what I used for shims. I'm going to try a shackle reversal to cut down on the bump steer. I've heard that by making the fixed spring mount at the front it'll improve your handling. If you're not famillular with a shackle reversal, there are several post on the subject.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 01:26 PM
JeepJohn

Re: steering prob

I've thought about the shackle reversal, but they either lift the front up or need to be welded in, I don't have the welder [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] and I do not want the front higher than the rear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode