clutch pedal return spring? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 09:39 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

clutch pedal return spring?

I have a CJ5 and the clutch is not returning to the up position. It comes most of the way back up but does not top out. If you do not pull it up with your foot, after a little bit I begin to to hear a ticking noise. There is a large spring under the dash that I suppose returns the pedal and I have ordered one but it looks pretty difficult to get the old spring off. Does anyone have any ideas or ever chenged one of these before?

B Bell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 10:38 AM

Re: clutch pedal return spring?

I had a broken spring between the bellcrank (or maybe the clutch fork?) and the transmission bellhousing. After I replaced it the clutch pedal came back to the top with no problems. Give it a look.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 11:45 AM
Keyboard Implanted

the majority of the clutch pedal return is by the clutch itself, after that, there is a spring between the throwout fork and bellhousing as mentioned above. crawl under the jeep and look for where the throwout fork protrudes from the bellhousing. on the very tip is a small hole. the spring should be attached there, and be sprung up to a hole on the bellhousing cover plate area. Also note if your throwout fork is hitting the bellhousing. How old is your clutch?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 01:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I don't know how old it is, the jeep only has 38,000 miles on it and I have owned it for about 4 months. It might be the clutch, I dont know if I can change it myself or it is better to get it done. I don't have a problem putting in the clutch, I have just never done one before. I will dive into just about anything.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 02:55 PM

The large spring under the dash is an 'overcenter' spring. When the pedal first starts down, the spring is being stretched slightly. With further pedal movement, the spring passes over the pedal pivot point, and from then on, it contracts and pulls the pedal downward, helping your leg.

When the pedal is not coming all the way up, it usually means that the clutch is not raising the pedal above the 'overcenter' point. Lengthening the linkage should cure that problem.

If you do change out the spring, the FSM has a 20-step procedure for removing it and a 24-step procedure for reinstalling it, with several more instructions for CJs with power brakes. If you need it I'll scan it for you.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 09:41 PM

It may also be the bearings inside the clutch pedal pivot...Mine crapped out on me and one time in traffic I pushed my clutch in and it stayed on the floor...The pivot was actually worn from the heavy duty overcenter spring allowing the needle bearings to displace themselves and bind up...
The overcenter spring will need to be removed ,along with the fuse box,and the clutch pedal has a very pesky little snapring holding it on .Took alot of trying and cussing before It finally came off.
The outermost end of the pivot stud was worn, so what I did was to order two replacement bearings and push the one that would go on the worn part of the stud in towards the center of the stud and used the empty cage from the old one as a spacer on the end where the stud was worn.
The fuse box inside needs to be removed to facilitate the removal of the clutch pedal...
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2002, 07:08 AM
Veteran

Jim, my buddy is dealing with the same problem although it's a CJ8 with a 350/SM465/D300 setup but it still has the original CJ8 clutch linkage. We'd appreciate a scanned copy of those instructions. I could take it in electronic form. Thanks.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2002, 07:58 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Jim, I'm in the same boat on my CJ5 and could use a copy of those instructions. Thanks.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2002, 08:27 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Okay, I lived without my overcenter spring for four years and finally decided to replace it last spring.

The way I did it seems kinda odd, but it worked great.

You have to take off your steering wheel and dashboard.

Put the end of the spring through the clutch petal extension and tie a few wraps of twine to the other end. I then wraped the twine around the rollbar and back to the spring a few times. Next, I slid a bar between the loops and started cranking down. As the twine wrapped around itself, it shortened and brough the spring out far enough to engage the petal mount. It was offset slightly, so I use a ratchet strap to pull it towards the passenger side until it lined up. I then backed the twine off slowly until the spring was seated. A few cuts of the twine and the spring was in place.

Fritz
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2002, 08:35 AM

Here your go - OCSpring.txt. 5KB. I hadn't fooled with one of these since my '55 Chevy. I was astounded when I saw the size of the instructions.

Extinct's method sure sounds simpler. In '78, the rollbar was an option, so I guess they couldn't put that technique in the manual.

Good luck, Guys.
Attached Files
File Type: txt 914763-OCSpring.txt (4.8 KB, 12 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode