Oil Pressure Guage Wireing? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 09:04 AM Thread Starter

Oil Pressure Guage Wireing?

My guage wasn't working correctly a few months ago, so I ordered a new sending unit. The one we got didn't fit, so while waiting for the new one, we put a plug in the hole. I then had a stereo installed where they had to cut some metal. While doing this, they "vibrated" the needle off. I then had to buy a new guage. When I got both on, the guage didn't read right. It stuck at certain levels. I took the jeep to the repair shop to verify pressure using a manual guage. Sure enough, it was reading incorrectly. When they hooked my electrical guage back up, it quit working. I said no big deal, cause I was returning it anyway. Well, I bought the replacement and it doesn't work either.

Question: There are 3 wires: Red, Black, and Purple. One of the posts on the guage shows "R" which I assume is hot or red. I don't know of the remaining post which should be black (ground) and which should be purple. Also, there is a lead going from the bulb to the ground. (I assume). Does anyone have a picture of the proper wireing, or can tell me (starting from the red) and tell me which post is for which wire.

FYI the two outside posts are at the same height on the guage, and the middle one is offset about 1/2" down (guess)

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 09:50 AM

Re: Oil Pressure Guage Wireing?

Does this look familiar? ...

Here's my web page that will tell ya everything you ever wanted to know about your CJ's gauges ... http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep/Gauges.htm
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

Perfect!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 11:35 PM

Jaffer, that site has saved my butt a couple of times. Just wanted to say thanks for it!

Oh....and my CJ has a manual oil guage....took some tape off the little tube when I first got the jeep without thinking about it....next time I drove it I was trying to figure out why there was oil under the dash! [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] Live and learn! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode