Urgent ?'s for CJDave (or anyone for that matter) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 07:24 AM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

Urgent ?\'s for CJDave (or anyone for that matter)

You had mentioned once that AMC V8 waterpumps "bypass" too much water and to restrict the bypass somewhat. If I introduce a flat washer to restrict the flow, does it go in the little line coming off the top of the pump? What was your recommended hole size for that washer again?

My waterpump has started making "tinking" noises and has some wobble in the shaft. I haven't seen anything coming from the pee hole, but it's kinda crusty. The main thing I've seen is it getting warmer faster (even though the temps outside have been cooler) and the temp getting to say 220* where it would normally stay at 185* unless crawling. I'm planning to swap out the waterpump this evening and want to do the bypass restriction at the same time. The thermostat is only 3 months old, but I'll check it when I have it drained.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 08:16 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Urgent ?\'s for CJDave (or anyone for that matter)

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
My waterpump has started making "tinking" noises and has some wobble in the shaft

[/ QUOTE ]

Your pump impeller may very well have come loose on the shaft or come off completely. That would cause noise and the higher temps you are experiencing.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 08:35 AM
Keyboard Implanted

And I thought you knew what you were talking about [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 08:56 AM
Pooh-Bah

Isn't the little line coming off the top for the heater core?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 09:01 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Thermostat housing if memory serves me right...
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 09:44 AM

the bypass is the 3/4" or 5/8" hose that loops out of the thermostat housing and back into the water pump. the water pump is pulling hot water from the engine, thru this bypass hose, and pumps it back into the engine. it never goes thru the radiator to cool. i think the reason for this was to prevent air from being trapped in the system.

i ended up rerouting my heater hoses thru the bypass, and plugging one of the nipples on the water pump (above alt.). i have not done any extensive driving with this set-up, but in theory it should work.

if i were you, i would find a piece of round rod the same diameter as the ID of the bypass hose (brass, stainless, or even steel) and about an inch long and drill a 1/4" hole thru the center. take one end of your bypass hose off and shove this restrictor in a couple inches. put a hose clamp around it to hold it in place if you want (it can't go anywhere...). then put your bypass hose back on the same way it was.

what you'll be doing is restricting the amount of bypass from a 5/8" dia. tube to 1/4" dia. this puts more hot water thru the radiator and not back into the engine.

let me/us know what you do and if it works. also, it sounds like you need a new waterpump. i recommend a stock replacement pump.

matt
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 09:51 AM

I did the search and found the orginal post because this caught my intrest.

http://bbs.off-road.com/ubbthreads/s...rue#Post539495
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 02:32 PM

I used a brass pipe plug. Not sure what size since it came out of my spare nuts and bolts box. Just found one that would fit inside the hose and not move around or fit through any of the water ports. Then I drilled a 1/4" hole through the middle.
Not sure how much of a difference it made since I replaced everything else in the cooling system at the same time.
My 360 rarely ever moves above 180 degrees. Its in my full size cherokee and I'm going to put the 195 degree stat back in for the winter to get more heat.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 06:11 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Those posts have it pretty well covered. Connecting the heater loop to the by-pass instead of using the regular heater outlets is a good idea as well. The restriction through the heater core is enough to put the brakes on the flow somewhat. BE SURE that you drill a bleed hole in the thermostat so the air can escape and go up to the radiator tank. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

OK, here's what we found. The waterpump did have a very slight wobble, but once out, there was nothing wrong with the impeller [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]. I pulled the thermostat and tested it with a butane torch. Never did open...wtf? I pulled out a spare that was 195* (had been running a 180*) and it opened almost immediately after the torch test. Put it all back together, when my "helper" got too happy with an air rachet and broke one of the 1/4"-20s off in the timing chain cover [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] . That took near 2 hours to fix!!

I ended up using some sort of spacer that fit nicely in the bypass hose and had a 3/8" hole. Once the air was burped and everything refilled, she held 195* all the way home, including several long runs in 2nd gear. Previously, higher RPMs would start the temps over 210*. I'm check it out a bit more tomorrow....for now we'll just call it a bad thermostat(?). Thanks for the help guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode