Fabbing a traction bar due to SOA? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2002, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Fabbing a traction bar due to SOA?

I did the spring over thing to my CJ and need to get the traction bar fabbed to head off any potential spring wrap problems. The actual fabrication is no biggee as I've got all the needed tools. What I'm wondering, is there anything that I need to know specifically. IOW, is there an overall total length it should be? Should the two connection points back at the axle be a specific distance apart? Should either of the two main bars be at any specific angle? Should the top bar be at the same angle as say, the driveshaft? You guys get the picture. Building it is no big deal I just don't know if there are any specific overall design parameters I should be following. Any help is greatly appreciated. BTW, if anyone is interested most of my photos can be viewed at My Jeep Photos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2002, 08:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Fabbing a traction bar due to SOA?

my advice is make it as long as posible and put it on the passengers side. why the pasengers side? well your eng. torques to the pass side so if the traction bar is on the d/side it actually will torque the whole jeep over when the two are combined. if the bar is on the pass side the two help cancel each other out. i have had them on both sides and it does work. as for how far appart mine is about 6" appart. another thing that i see alot is people who make the bottom part of the bar go below the axle tube. i don't know about you but i am all about clearance and i don't want that crap hanging below the axle. i put the bottome bar in line with the axle tube and the top one about 6" above that. mine works and i have had no problems. oh yeah i have no hard evidence but it makes sence to me to have the end of the ladder bar come up over the shackle instead of under. in a wrap situation the bar wants to lift up. with it above the shacle the lift resistance stays pretty much the same no matter how much it is flexed. if it is under it'll change make a little mock up that you can play with and you'll see what i mean. anyway i hope this helps.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2002, 08:40 PM
Pooh-Bah

I agree with the advice Brian gave you & I have had better results running them on the passenger side as well. Mine is pretty close to the center (actually on pumpkin) and lower mount doesn't hang down any lower than it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2002, 11:16 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

Well I'm just screwed then [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Mines going to be on the d/s of the axle due to my exhaust being in the way on the p/s. Think I'll do ok?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 04:33 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

it will work as far as controlling wrap on the d/side but you will just notice more torque roll with it there.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

I appreciate all the heads up. Just out of curiousity, what size tubing did you all (all y'all?) use? Did you go with bushing mounts or heim joints? If so what size? Blah, blah, on and on. [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 10:52 AM
Pooh-Bah

My current one is 1" sch. 80 with 3/4" heims at all three ends, and a weld on heim (tractor thing) for the shackle mount. When I stretch the wheelbase this winter and build a new bar I will probably just use some bushing mounts at the axle end.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 12:47 PM
Veteran

Look at my web site for the write up. Might give you some ideas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode