Opinions on Full Width ... Daily Driver - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2002, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Opinions on Full Width ... Daily Driver

Can I get some opinions on running full Ford Width HP D60 in the front 69 3/4" and a 14bolt thats 67/68" in the rear..

On my daily driver.. was thinking for now just use 6" Flares (some tire will stickout but right now I dont run a flare and almost my whole tire sticks out)... and in the future was thinking of those custom hoods with the fender built in then adding a 6" Flare..

Now for the flare i`m gonna come up with some way to make it quick removable so I don't snag it on trees and such..

What does everyone think.... to wide???

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2002, 03:49 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

Re: Opinions on Full Width ... Daily Driver

If your tires stick out beyong the flare, then I wouldn't worry about making it a quick disconnect flare, as your tire will eat the tree before the flare will be touched.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2002, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

[img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] True but some places I wheel there are treeys and bushes haning into the trail, and while a tire can rip through them a FLARE can be RIPPPED OFF!

No I don't go driving through 10ft tall bushes, but some trails they hang over/onto..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2002, 04:29 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

Well then you need to learn to Tread Lightly!!! If it's going to touch you Jeep, either don't take the trail, or have someone gently hold it out of the way while you pass. Make sure not to run over any small seedlings or anything.

[img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2002, 08:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

well if you have never been on an over grown trail you havn't wheeled much. i wouldn't call running a trail that has branches and weeds hanging in the trail not treading lightly.

as for the full width axles i say it really depended on your state laws. if it is legal then do it.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2002, 10:06 PM

How hard do you wheel your jeep? Do wheel it hard enough to need 38's and 1 tons? If you answered yes to the 2nd question then i'd really think hard about building up your daily driver to be that big. I daily drive my tj on un ballanced 32" sx's with a spool out back and i wheel it fairly hard though i'm not playing on lower 2 every weekend but i do push it hard. I'd say my jeep is getting iffy as a daily driver it's pushed too hard and reliability is suffering from the abuse, it doesn't ride great with the swampers, the spool is going to make winter driving fun, i always get dirty on the way to school since i usually wait a day or 2 to clean it. My jeep is down for probably 3 days to 2 weeks a month for repairs and mods and i can usually get by since i'm still in highschool and can steel my parents rigs most of the time (which i do even when the jeep works to avoid putting miles on it/ breaking stuff) but if i had to get to a real job on time in a suit i'd be screwed if my jeep was my only rig and i would definetally be nicer to my jeep and build it up differentally. Right now i drive my jeep to the trails but i really wish i had a to rig since i'm always worried about getting home and the last thing you want to do is leave a busted rig in the middle of no where. Elusive has a tj on wide axles and 35's or 37" muds as a daily driver most of the time though i think he has another ride to drive when it's down, you might want to ask him. It seems his jeep has little things that go wrong and he'd be introuble if it was his only rig. I'd really think about getting a daily driver/ tow rig before diving into the mad mods and being up a creek w/ no paddle because it's your daily driver.

BarrelRoll
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2002, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Hey,

Thank's for the advise.. totaly understand where you are coming from... as a daily driver I would have NEVER put in a spool.. not for the road manners but for tire wear, and driveline wear.. you are totaly taking life off your tires and drive line.. that's my opinion atleast I would have saved up for an ARB or a Detroit.. not that a detroit is PERFECT for the tires..

While attending college I am lucky enough to have it near by so that I can still live at home... seing as my brother has his jeep as a 2nd vehicle, and we have/had (just sold the other extra vehicle today actualy) we have extra vehicles around...

Not to mention I`m barrowing my girlfriends car as a daily driver right now during the buildup, and until my brother's car is out of the shop..

As far as getting a ride for any downtime I have that covered..

I actualy prefer to stay away from the mud and or water as much as possible! I like the rocks and trails myself (non mud filled ..unlike pipeline)

I just didn't see a reason to go from 35" Tires and a Dana35 to 33" tires and keep the week axles and worry about it...

I`d rather build the rig into a capable wheeler, and then save up for a daily driver, suhc as a Geo or a Kia, probably a Kia with one of there 100,000 mile warrantys or a nice Toy Pickup something that will last FOREVER!

That's my outlook on the whole thing...

.. after reading your post I still didn't read aynthing about how you think full widths will work with a daily driver.. but hey I guess you had more info for me in the long run [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks!

Oh, and I`m gonna rig up something like your fender hood :P Maybe not so goofy [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2002, 10:40 PM
Keyboard Implanted

yes.. i try to daily drive my tj, but lets review this year I
1. blew the engine into many small parts....2 month rebuild
2. blew the rear gears......................down for almost a month
3. the pinion nut on my rear d-60 disappeared on trail 1..down for 3 days
4. york seized.. ...........................1 day down
5. blew the cockpit out of the radiator.....2 days down
all added up.....3 months, 1 week down since Jan 1... sounds like i need something else to drive as well... my 77 f-250 hi-boy still runs good though...6mpg, but its nice to hear the big v-8 sometimes
my axles are 65" wide.. not quite full width and I run 7" flares with 12.5" wide tires on the street..still not really legal...... it sounds like you need hummer rims for your prodject...
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2002, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Elusive,

Another great post!

I like the hummer rim Idea... are they all beadlock'd front and back? Are they all 16.5 rims as well?

Is there a place to buy them or do I just needa keep an eye out for the deals?

Do you have any pics with the hubs sticking through?

And why are MT/Rs for hummer wheel so much $$ JEEZ!!

Guess the $ you save with the hummer wheels compared to brand new beadlocks you pay for in the tires!!

post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 04:31 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

the hubs and lockout stick out pretty far on a hummer rim. while i really like hummer rims i would have to get a set of custom inners for them to change the off set so that the lockouts were not constantly being attacked by rocks. if you keep and eye out on the for sale board (or do a search) on pirate4x4.com you'll see hummer rims for sale. i also know a guy here in texas that has some for sale if you are willing to pay shipping. yes all hummer rims can be made bead lock. you just need the ring that gors inside the rim. the radials use a big rubber ring and the bias ply based rims use a magnesium run flat device. these span the whole width of the rims so when the two piece rim is bolted together it pinched the bead to the side of the rim.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode