fan clutches, any difference btwn OEM & partstore> - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2002, 01:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

fan clutches, any difference btwn OEM & partstore>

My fan clutch viscous coulping is intact and functional, but the bearing race bit the dust, so I need to replace it.

Is there any difference betwwen the OEM Jeep fan clutches and the partstore(NAPA, Autozone, etc) versions?

On my 300ZX there is a noticeably power loss if you use the generic partstore fan clutches, which I do NOT want on my already woefully underpowered 258 Wrangler.

Also, where should I go to get the best price on a fan clutch?

Thanks,

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2002, 01:48 PM

Re: fan clutches, any difference btwn OEM & partstore>

Not to change your mind but you would be better off getting rid of the fan clutch all together. Get a Flex Fan and save yourself some money. Clutches wear, and will eventually fail again. Flex Fan bolts right on and never mess with again unless you bend it. [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

If your 300ZX lost power from a generic fan clutch you have a bigger problem. [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

Autozone / Pepboys/ Napa/ Advanced Auto usually carry the Flex fan. But if you stay with a clutch and do not want a "Generic" go to Napa or the Dealer
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2002, 02:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

No, there is no problem with the Z.

The aftermarket(non-OEM) fan clutches are more viscous and cause the fan to spin faster(the clutch offers less slip). This sucks more power that would otherwise get to the rear wheels.

This has been dyno proven, and can definitely be felt when driving the car.

-----

As for the Jeep, a "flex fan" would seem to be the extreme case of viscous coupling, as in there is none. It is bolted right to the pump and spins at engine rpm. This would use the most power possible from the engine.

My fan clutch failled locked on my Z and it sucked a LOT of power, especially over 2500 rpm. The faster you wound the engine, the more resistance you could feel to acceleration.

Not my imagaination, fact.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2002, 04:03 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

I think it was a few weeks back we talked about flex-fans on the BBS. The general concensus was that they suck!! I'll try and dig up the post. I think it mainly came down to they break easily, they eat radiators if water touches them, and they're just damn cheap.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2002, 06:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I don't know about difference's in clutches but do not use a flex fan, They are junk. Flex fans may have a place on dragsters but they should not be used on a jeep.

bandhmo
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2002, 09:19 PM

Why not just go electric? No crappy aftermarket fan clutch and no junky flex fans. And you gain a little power too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode