width difference - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2002, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

width difference

anyone know the difference in width on a pre 71 CJ 5 and a post 71 CJ 5. Mainly concerned about the engine area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2002, 03:15 PM

Re: width difference

Width should be unchanged.

Wheelbase increased from 80" (or is it 81" can't remember for sure but the detail police will correct me if needed) to 84" to make space for the inline 6. Body tub same. Frame, fenders and hood stretched. Easy to notice at bottom of fenders where they meet the tub.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

I measured 25.5" inside frame rail to frame rail. It is the 66 CJ and it has the 4 popper 134 F-head. want to put an I-6 in it.
So if I read you correctly it won't fit>?? [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 12:56 PM
Official Historian

trailisman added more that what you are asking. Reread the first sentence.

When I get home, I'll measure the distance between the framerails of my 79 CJ7 and post it later tonight. If someone else posts some widths, mine will either confirm it or the 7 is different. [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 01:42 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Bigcheese,
the pre 71 CJ5s had the smaller engine compartment, you can probably shohorn in a straight 6 but you will have to cut the grill all the way to the front part to get a radiator on it, and probably massage the sheetmetal on the firewall. Jeep enlarged just the front to get the straight 6 in. If you notice the fenders of the early and later CJ5s, there is about 2 inches atdded to the fenders and hood.It is going to be a tight fit to get the straight 6 in there, but it is doable with work.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2002, 07:50 AM Thread Starter

Work ....you mean Mr. cutting torch and Sawzall??? I think the grill shroud is a space taker. Or I could drop the V6 from the Jeepster in there, when I get a 401. That would take up less length.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2002, 07:54 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Oh yeah.. you will be using the brothers to take alot of space out of the grill shroud. A guy came over this past weekend that has a 283 V8 in his 58 CJ and he has the shroud totally cut off. There is some space between the fan and radiator, but any more will be pushing it. You could get the later style fenders and hood and make a mounting crossmember for the grill to move it forward, then you would be in business. Any thing is possible. how bout moving the engine back into the center of the jeep to keep the weight balanced. That would be diffent, but the driveshafts would be real short for the back one. [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2002, 07:58 AM
Pooh-Bah

Put a bullnose or wrangler front clip on it, that would finally make you cool. (I know you have been saving up to be cool for years [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]!!!!!!)
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2002, 08:27 AM Thread Starter

[img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] You are too much. The last thing I want Is a freakin snub nose Commando front. I guess if worse comes to worse I could ssssttttrrrreeeeeeeetttcccchhhh it a little. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Had to edit before I was flamed to death
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2002, 08:30 AM
Pooh-Bah

[img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Due to the above post's content, it should not be viewed by anyone...

...You could keep the same look with a later model CJ front end with the neccessary stretching already in place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode