Leaf Springs - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2002, 09:01 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Leaf Springs

I have recently bought an 87 wrangler that was maintained by a couple of shadetree teens.
Not critisizing, but have found many hacks for repairs, ie wire wrapped around frame
and taped instead of spliced and tie wrapped. The suspension has been modified I think to accomodate
the 31" tires; different shackles; new pitman arm. This sucker takes bumps really
hard! I recall the mother of the young mecahnics mentioniong something
about removing a leaf spring(s). So I have 2 questions. 1, how many leafs should
be on the front and rear sets? 2, should I expect the ride over bumbs to be real rough?
There is no wheel/ front end shake.

Thanks for your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2002, 10:43 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Leaf Springs

If there was a leaf taken out, then the ride would be softer than stock. What were you driving before you got this jeep, was it another jeep? Because if this is your first jeep and you are used to some other (smoother) ride, then there is a chance that nothing at all is wrong. Jeeps ride rough. Bottom line. I think it makes them more fun, and better than other trucks. But that is just my opnion
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2002, 10:47 AM
Mud in my Veins

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
If there was a leaf taken out, then the ride would be softer than stock.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless it's so "soft" now, it's sitting on the bumpstops! [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2002, 10:53 AM
Keyboard Implanted

True, that is a very good point that I didn't even think of. It could be bottoming out every time you hit a bump. Try standing on the bumper and jumping up and down. How much movement in the up down direction is there, and are you hitting the bumpstops?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2002, 11:19 AM
Old Hand

[img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Well what if he weighs 400lbs and is jumping on the front bumper???? Would that count [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2002, 11:40 AM

I know there is some difference in the yj and the cj, but should my cj5 move if I jump on the bumper? Ive tried it before and with me weighing around 155-160 it really didnt budge at all...
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2002, 11:46 AM
Old Hand

If you mean move back and forward well it would if you weren't in gear or didn't have the ebrake on/working...

As far as up and down it should do that too but not to the exstintat of bottoming out..

post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2002, 01:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Depends on what you mean by 'hard'.
If it rocks front to back on small to moderate bumps, and seems to lean alot on corners, suspect springs. If it rocks indesciminately on all bumps, think shocks. If you hear a BANG, it could be bump stops or even tires hitting. If its just one big bump and it feels like you are part of the road, you probably have 6 or more leaves and hard tires like goodyear wranglers or such. 4 leaves is minimum and is a rather soft ride, especially with goodrich or other softer tires.

'Course you could just sit on a hemaroid pad and tell the wife its more fun this way... its a Jeep thing ya know.

-John- ka0osk of the north
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2002, 02:45 PM

the fact that they changed the pitman arm is a pretty fair sign that a lift was installed. you don't change those things cause you feel like it. my guess would be a 3 or 4 inch lift. see if there are any spacers, or a piece of sqare stock between the transmission skid plate and the frame.. this would also indicate a 3 or 4 inch lift. if the jeep was not resting on the ground when everything was tightened, or was overtightened, you would get a lot rougher ride than usual. i have a 3 inch lift on my wrangler, and the ride was pretty stiff for a few months before it started to soften up a bit. it is however a lot firmer than stock ever was. course, i like it that way..
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 12:46 AM

I bought mine the way it is now so i dont know how much lift is on it exactly, what i know right now without going out and looking at it some more is, 33" tires, does have square stock between skid, shackles look overtightened as in they bow in at each end, Its bad enough that if i know the road im driving on well enough to know where the bumps are ill slow down a bit and grip the wheel like hell...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode