258 timing chain replacement - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2002, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

258 timing chain replacement

Pretty soon I'm gonna be replacing my timing chain. I'll be replacing the water pump and radiator while I'm at it. Any advice? Tips or tricks? Do's and don'ts? I've never did a timing chain replacement before, but it doesn't look like it'll be too hard. I've got all the parts (I think) already.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2002, 08:21 PM

Re: 258 timing chain replacement

I just got done doing the timing chain on my 74 CJ-5 with a 304 in it. The 258 is a bit easier from what I hear, but my best advice is to go slow and as you take parts off, put them in order so you know where everything goes. Some of the bolts go in a specific place. Make sure you have a good harmonic Balancer puller, you don't want to mess that up it's expensive to replace. Good Luck, and let us know how it goes in the end
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2002, 10:27 PM
Veteran

1) get the right puller for the crank pulley
2) get the right puller for the gears
3) be carfeul when re installing the cover to get the seal right otherwise everything behind the cover will become an oil magnet, sometimes its easiest to loosen the pan a bit to lower it then tighten after the cover is in place
4) spend the money on a good chain set
5) have band aids ready
6) put 911 on speed dial
7) perform the requisite homage and dance to the jeep gods prior to starting any work
8) be glad its not a timing belt

thats about all i can think of [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

oh yeah and have fun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2002, 10:49 PM
Keyboard Implanted

not sure about the 258, but when i rebuilt my 4.0, i had some stupid little pin and spring left over... i had to ask what they were for... the old guy at the hobby shop got that look I hate and told me they go between the timing cover and the cam to keep the cam from walking... sooo... he moral is make sure you gob a little grease on that thing to keep it in there while putting the cover back on..
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2002, 07:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I did a timing chain replacement on a 258 recently and this is one thing which I think is important: The new lower timing gear (the small one) was a rather tight interference fit on the crank snout, tighter than the stock unit. When I was putting the harmonic balancer back on, I started to use the harmonic balancer bolt to press the whole works back on. But it was waaaay tighter than I liked, and I was concerned the bolt would strip the threads in the crankshaft snout. The bolt initially has only a couple of threads engaged because the balancer is not pressed on yet. So I used a long bolt (I forget what size and pitch it is) as a stud in the crankshaft... screwed it into the crank, then used a nut on the stud to press the harmonic balancer back onto the crank. It took ALOT of torque to get the balancer and pulley pressed all the way on. Then I removed the stud and nut and put the factory bolt in and torqued it to spec. I sure wouldn't have wanted to strip the crank threads. Good luck.
Dave
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2002, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for tips so far.

More questions...

Should I soak the new chain in oil for awhile before installation?

Does the cam and crank need to be greased before I slip the new timing gears on them? Or should they be dry?

Does the new water pump need to be primed or anything or just slap it on dry and when I start 'er up after putting it all back together she'll prime herself?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2002, 07:45 PM
Veteran

soaking the chain for a while doesn't make much difference, just make sure it has some lube on it

just smear a little oil on the cam and crank before installing the cears (go on easier)

The water pump will prime itself

-web
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode