4 Wheel Parts Wholesalers - Free shipping rip-off - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2002, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Stranger

4 Wheel Parts Wholesalers - Free shipping rip-off

I just went onto 4 Wheel Parts Wholesalers site to look for a replacement bikini top and the site makes a big deal about their FREE SHIPPING offer good until Friday Oct. 11th. I figured it was a good deal and would save me a few bucks on a $39.00 bikini top. That was until I saw the $9.00 HANDLING CHARGE !!!! This seems like a total scam to me, a real bait-and-switch. I can't belive some idiot thought "Let's offer free shipping - we'll just make it up with a handling charge !!" Is this a common practice among 4X4 catalog providers or is this just one company's way to try and pi** off their loyal customers??? The $9.00 handling charge made the item more expensive than if I'd bought it somewhere else and paid the normal shipping !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2002, 04:55 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

Re: 4 Wheel Parts Wholesalers - Free shipping rip-off

They seem to piss a lot of people off with their promotions and way of doing business. If they're not careful, they're going ot lose some loyal customers!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2002, 05:04 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

They HAVE lost a lot of loyal customers. I have heard more complaints about this company than the rest put together. Hell of a way to run a business.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2002, 05:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I bought tires and they did not put a handling charge on my items. I am going towrite them and link to this post. I have always had pretty good luck with them.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2002, 06:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The more I thought about it the madder I got so I wrote the president with the following letter. I encourage everyone to use the power of our voice or keyboard and call or write using the following information:

"You can contact me at the following:

The President's Hot Line - (310) 900-5537
The President's Email - [email protected]
I look forward to hearing from you,

Greg Adler"

I have been loyal customer of 4 wheel parts for 2 years. I have spent over 5,000.00 this year and the equal prior to that. I belong to a forum where I often visit to gather information. This is part of offroad.com a worldwide BBS. I was reading some of the post today and came across one that bothered me. I am going to paste a couple of posts so you can see what is being said. I first want to inform you that anyone that is anyone in the offroad world belongs to this post. There are over thousands of people that belong to this forum that's a lot of parts....

The post concerns your free shipping. I myself order this exact same item for $39.95 and shipping was $6.95. The first post is below:

"I just went onto 4 Wheel Parts Wholesalers site to look for a replacement bikini top and the site makes a big deal about their FREE SHIPPING offer good until Friday Oct. 11th. I figured it was a good deal and would save me a few bucks on a $39.00 bikini top. That was until I saw the $9.00 HANDLING CHARGE !!!! This seems like a total scam to me, a real bait-and-switch. I can't believe some idiot thought "Let's offer free shipping - we'll just make it up with a handling charge !!" Is this a common practice among 4X4 catalog providers or is this just one company's way to try and pi** off their loyal customers??? The $9.00 handling charge made the item more expensive than if I'd bought it somewhere else and paid the normal shipping !!! "

Now you know as well as I do that free shipping should mean FREE not some packing charge or handling charge. You guys are going to really take a lot of flak over this and probably lose tens of thousands of dollars of orders. You can chose to immediately react or to ignore it. I will assume the responsibility of the liaison between you and the forum.
I have stuck up for pro comp and 4wheel parts but if this bait and switch tactic is not changed I will no longer support 4wheelparts nor Pro Comp financially or verbally. I will post the second and third posts now:

"They seem to piss a lot of people off with their promotions and way of doing business. If they're not careful, they're going ot lose some loyal customers!"

"They HAVE lost a lot of loyal customers. I have heard more complaints about this company than the rest put together. Hell of a way to run a business."

I am going to paste this message to you on the forum we will wait a reply.

Shelby Masters
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2002, 06:04 PM
Enthusiast

They got me on that handling charge too. You never see it untill you are placing the order. That free shipping offer has been expiring every week for at least 6 months now. It's just a trick. I never liked them anyway. I don't think they have a charge on shocks, those are the only things I buy from them.

Summit Racing does a simular thing with a handling fee but they don't hide it like 4 wheel parts does and it's a lesser fee.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2002, 06:12 PM
Can't Get Enough

They got me on my locker and shackles!!!!!! After we done the run down he tells my we have free shipping but there is a twenty dollar handling and insurance fee!!!!! [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2002, 06:30 PM

I ordered parts from Drivetrain Direct. Two sets of gears, detroit locker and full install kit. I never thought to ask them if they were going to ship them as two shipments. Most people tell you right off the bat if it's backordered. I live in Canada and the shipping and brokerage fees are really expensive. By splitting it in two parcels, not telling me that one kit was on backorder, it cost me about $50.00 usd extra. I would have told them to hold the shipment till it all came in.

Anyways, I called them and told them the problem I had with the extra fees I incurred thru shipping as two separate packages. They agreed to absorb the cost and credited it off the second package, which they only bill to credit card when actually shipped. I thought they handled this well. Their product was top quality, spicer, superior, timken, etc.

I won't hesitate to order from JC Whitney if the parts are name brand as they ship parcel post at a flat rate per /$ of purchase price. This saves me a bundle compared to UPS, Fedex, etc and there are no brokerage fees, just a $5.00 charge from our post office. I only wish JC Whitney carried more name brand products and not just that stuff that makes me smile when I read about it (kit to repair leaking shock absorbers, turbo charger in your air cleaner, engine rebuilding pills, rust prevention "device", etc". Kinda like a trip to the circus.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2002, 06:43 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

I sent them a letter too. Not quite as fancy as yours, but to the point. I got a response message saying it was a calculation error and that they'll drop the handling if I order it. BTW - It was a $4.95 map with $6 handling that I wrote about [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2002, 07:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've orderes a few items from several of the "catalog" houses and find they all rip you off on shipping and handling.

I ordered a Jeep manual from J.C. Whitney at a $19.95 inflated cost for something that was 1/4"thkX4"X7" and probably weighing 6oz. and was charged $7.80 S&H!!! It would have fit in a typical #10 envelop. Yes, they told me that it was going to cost $7.80, but where was I going to get the manual I wanted otherwise? I bit!hed about it but was told that was the way it was.

RAF
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode