Glass body and antennas - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2002, 11:27 AM
TNJeeper

Glass body and antennas

Just a quick question about mounting the radio antenna back on the CJ after replacing the body with fiberglass. Does it need a ground wire? I know that CB antennas need to be grounded, but didn't know if the radio antenna grounded itself on the old metal body or not.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2002, 01:14 PM
Pooh-Bah

Re: Glass body and antennas

Most automotive radio antennae do get their ground from the metal body. To avoid poor reception, noise problems, etc. you should ground it. There are some antennae specifically made for boats and semis that are to be mounted on 'glass, but it basically comes down to them having a ground lead and metal plate inside.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2002, 01:28 PM
Old Hand

I've got a glass tub with no additional ground on the stock antenna off a 80cj7.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2002, 01:29 PM

The antenna is grounded through the cable you plug into the radio, there should be no need for a separate ground wire.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2002, 01:49 PM
Cerrals

I didn't ground mine on my glass bodied CJ-5 and it worked fine as well.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2002, 01:51 PM
Pooh-Bah

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
The antenna is grounded through the cable you plug into the radio, there should be no need for a separate ground wire.

[/ QUOTE ]
Actually it works both ways, if the antennae is grounded to the vehicle, the radio will work w/o a ground wire, some manufactures rely on the antenna ground for the radios ground. Either way, the antennae should have a ground to the chassis. I did install work for 10+ yrs. and we used to have people come in all the time with poor reception on the radio, we pull the antennae, run some sandpaper around under the fender, re-install the antennae and reception was again good. We also had mysterious noise problems that happened, again pull the antennae, clean the ground, reinstall and the noise went away. On boats you can run them ungrounded, and have reception, ground it and it works better, but these are just my experiences, it's pretty easy to run a jumper to test wether it's worth your trouble.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2002, 03:33 PM
TNJeeper

Thanks for the info!! I'll probably run a ground just to make sure unless anyone knows of a type of "super antenna" for their radio that improves reception?? I searched on the web last night and didn't come up with many aftermarket am/fm antennae, only cb and digital radio types. I did find a couple of antenna boosters that claim to improve reception, but would rather go with a new antenna (I've changed everything else on the jeep, so why not upgrade the antenna too!!) If so, I'll just mount it to my rear bumper/tire carrier and kill two birds with one stone!

Greg J.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2002, 04:58 PM
Pooh-Bah

In my experience the antenna boosters do boost the signal some, but also everything else, noise, bad reception, multi-path etc. The one aftermarket antenna that worked well was the Bosch ones, they used to run about $50.00, were about 18" high, black and had a winding around them (looked like "firesticks" for cb's) The idea behind it was the coil winding increased the effective length and would get better reception w/o noise. They stopped selling them for awhile and I haven't looked lately to see if they are available again.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2002, 06:49 AM
Can't Get Enough

>>>>$0.02 A "ground plane" will help somewhat with antenna reception and a lot with antenna transmission. The antennaes position relative to the ground plane dictates it's uni-direction(as opposed to omni-directional). In a steel bodied car with the antenna in the rear the best reception and transmission would be toward the front of the car. That's usually the direction cars travel. I have seen plans to take wide copper foil and set up a grid in the hull of a boat and ground it to the antenna for a ground plane. These "marine" type antennas that don't need a ground plane are actually a compromise in performance for conveince.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2002, 01:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

With a wire 3' or less long on FM, you dont need the ground. You will only get about 5% improvment by grounding at the antenna at best. AM reception wont be affected either way. With longer wire or extension wires, grounding at the antenna is a good thing. Adjusting the trimmer in the radio will do MUCH MORE for you than grounding- most people neglect that adjustment, but it can net you 40-50 MILES more range!!!!

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode