What Radiator - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2002, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
MNT
Addict

What Radiator

I need to replace my radiator (92YJ 4.0L) it is starting to fall apart when I touch it. My question is, are the Be Cool aluminum radiators (I think it is 1800 Radiator) worth the money. It seems like $500.00 is a lot, when a replacement is only about $200.00. I like to upgrade everything, but...

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2002, 10:33 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: What Radiator

If you have the 4.0L and you plan on keeping it, then I would just get a replacement and save the money for somthing else. The Be Cool is all pollished and pretty, but you don't need that to keep cool. If you plan on ever getting a larger motor, then you may think of a be cool. I have heard V8 guys say great things about them. If I were you I would save the money for somthing else.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2002, 10:20 PM
47WillysCJ2A

I run a 305 Chevy and I got a Griffin Radiator from Jegs for 190.00 It is aluminum with 2 1 inch rows. I have no problem keeping it cool. I did have to fab my own mounts but that wasn't a big deal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2002, 11:54 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I just bought a replacement rad for my Caravan from these guys http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=1866778071

The thing was all metal construction like they said and arrived in a day. The price was decent ($135 delivered) and was an exact replacement for the null and void original.

Anyone here ever bought one of these for their YJ or TJ? I had thought of buying the three core for my wife's TJ when the time comes. The OEM rad appears to be a single 1" core (that's all you can see down the rad - one centered core around 1" tubes).
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2002, 01:39 AM

If your rad has lasted you 10 years, then $200 isn't too bad in my opinion.. I would just spend the money (unless I could find the same one a little cheaper).. It'll last you another 10 years and then you can think about upgrading as the time comes..

Just my thoughts though..
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2002, 03:00 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I bought a rad from the radiator_doctor on ebay for my 83cj7. It originally had a 2core but I purchased the 3core and switched to elec fans. I wanted the elec fans anyways but they were also necessary for the larger rad to fit. The stock fan on the engine would have hit it. I purchased two 10" slimeline Perma Cool fans and fabricated a mounting bracket for them. I gained a few ponies and have a better cooling system.
GeeAea, It seems the same idea should work for your TJ. You just need to figure out how thick the new rad is and how close it will be to your fan.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2002, 06:14 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I email these guys and they said that the 3 core has the same dimensions (that is, the tanks are the same size ..just that the core is a little more filled out). Besides one for my 4.0 (which is fairly close to the fan ...I was looking for a MEGA rad for my SE since I could always trim the shrowd.

The only curious thing is that these have all the appearances of decent quality ...but are much cheaper than most of the alternatives that are offered out there, which get rather expensive. Either they aren't as good as they appear ...or everyone else is really hammering you on price (BE COOL, etc.)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2002, 03:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

<font color="#666666">"I email these guys and they said that the 3 core has the same dimensions (that is, the tanks are the same size ..just that the core is a little more filled out)."</font color>
Yep, same with mine. It was the thicker core section that would have rubbed on my fan clutch.

<font color="#666666">"The only curious thing is that these have all the appearances of decent quality ...but are much cheaper than most of the alternatives that are offered out there, which get rather expensive. Either they aren't as good as they appear ...or everyone else is really hammering you on price (BE COOL, etc.)"</font color>
I was thinking the same thing. Read the FAQ page, maybe it will help make your decision.(http://www.radiatorauctions.com/)
Guaranteed OEM fit and quality. A Lifetime Warranty. Guaranteed lowest price. Next day delivery. Sounded good to me.
I bought mine for around $120 and found comparable stock ones for around $200+. Dont forget that the Be Cool are much more expensive because they are aluminum. Mine has made it through a Tx summer and a recent trip to Katemcy with no problems. The elec fans seem to make the biggest difference. When they kick on you can watch the temp gauge drop quickly. I probably only needed one fan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode