700R4 or TF727 Trans swap with AMC 360 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2002, 07:52 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

700R4 or TF727 Trans swap with AMC 360

I purchased a 1970 AMC 360 for my 84 CJ8, and seperatly purchased a TF999 to replace the 258/T176. I had the trans rebuilt with shift kit. I had the motor and heads machined, and when it came time to balance the motor it was not possible with the flexplate I had. I was later informed no autos in 70'. I pulled the crank out of a 77 block, had it machined, then balanced and went to put the trans up to the motor and didn't work, I had the AMC TH400 flexplate. Great learning experience. I took the motor apart, rebalanced the crank to the TF999 flexplate, and put it all together. Motor runs great, I installed DUI ignition and GM TBI. The trans has been nothing but problems and I just want to replace it now with something more heavy-duty. From previous post, I think i got a botched rebuild. So what auto to go with? I'm really concerned with not affecting the balance of the motor, can i retain this flexplate? My machinist said that the AMC TH400 flexplate was balanced completly different from that of the AMC TF. So i can't see just buying a different flexplate from Advance Adapters and not screwing with the balance of the motor if i wanted to go with the 700r4, not to mention the cost of all the other adapters needed, and the price of a rebuild, that lower first gear and overdrive seem appealing though. The 727 swap seems a heck of alot cheaper, and it will bolt right up to my Dana 300 correct and TF flexplate? I believe I have more than enough lift to avoid the driveshaft concerns i have read about (4-5 inchs). Any advice would be great, I have already had enough learning experiences on this project. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2002, 08:12 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: 700R4 or TF727 Trans swap with AMC 360

if you have more than 4" of lift, the tf 727 would be the easiest swap for sure since a dana 300 transfer case bolts right to it. the correst way to balance the AMC engines is to ignor the flywheel and just internally balance the engine. that way you can use a flywheel from any 258 that had an auto behind it. the 285 flywheels (flexplates actually) are neutral balanced and wont affect your engine balance. many of the aftermarket flexplates you get at the local parts joint will have 2 sets of holes in it.. one set for the tf 904/999 and a larger set for the tf 727.. I'd look and see of yours has both sets. ozarkjeep is rally up on autos. perhaps he has more insight....
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2002, 09:21 AM

I think Elusive covered it,

unless you really really need the overdrive, id pass on the 700r4, its gonna cost you about 4 times as much as a 727 to put in, and its not nearly as strong.

there is a good deal on a tf727 right now in teh classifieds of the Pirate4x4bbs, I dont remember where it was located, but if you cant find one locally, UPS can ship them.

altho I had some brainiac at UPS steal the adapter off the rear of one I sold a couple of years back!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2002, 11:22 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have a 727 now, but don't have the clearance for the driveshaft. So I'm looking for a 999. Your 999 needs to be rebuilt, but so does my 727. Wanna swap?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2002, 11:41 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

So can I get away with using my TF999 flexplate with the TF727? I was thinking about trying the Lokar shifter and eliminating the cable. I have the B&M Mega shifter, which the boot rotted a few days after instalation, cable cracked, and needs lots upkeep. Shift kit for TF727?

Thanks
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2002, 11:49 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Let me think about it, I'm in michigan, probably about $150 to ship. I'm attempting to attach a photo of the trans. Is the 727 in your Jeep now? dipstick? torque converter?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 911877-trans.jpg (58.1 KB, 12 views)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2002, 11:58 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ozarkjeeper, how much do the 727's weigh? I was looking into having one shipped by UPS, but they will only ship up to 150lbs. I read somewhere on the internet that the dry weight of a 727 is 161 lbs.

Thanks,

post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2002, 12:59 PM
Old Hand

I've been running a original tf999 in my 80 cj with a built 304 that I'm sure has more HP than a stock 360 with no problems. Sounds like someone screwed up the rebuild or the setup of the tv cable.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2002, 01:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

My 360 has the 10.2:1 dogleg heads, Edlebrock R4B Intake, performer cam, GM TBI, DUI ignition, runs real strong, but i only put maybe 300 miles on the trans. By TV cable I'm assuming thats the kickdown cable. I purchased the Lokar cable, and at full throttle it pulled the (TV?) lever on the side of the trans all the way, and at no throttle returned the lever as far back as it would go. From park to drive you could hit first and second, at different RPM's, depending on the throttle position, third was really rare and only at 5,000 RPMs. Once into second or third, it would not downshift back to second or first gear unless you went back to park then into drive again, or manually downshifted. Shifts were crisp from first to second. Last time i dorve it, same symptoms, but reverse no longer worked. Fluid levels were where they should be and i shut the Jeep off. I tried it later in the week after i let it set, fired it up and a trans line blew off.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2002, 01:31 PM

a 727, on a small wooden pallet that I made, strapped down, and wrapped in plastic weighs about 145, its JUST under the UPS limit.

Ive shipped a couple all over the place, its probably less than $100 from coast to coast.

unless they wont take anymore that arent in a crate , since I did collect teh insurance on the one they robbed some parts from.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode