Broke my first bolt - best way to get it out? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2002, 07:30 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Broke my first bolt - best way to get it out?

It had to happen. While removing the factory tow hooks in preparation of mounting the winch plate I broke the right front bolt. I think it's a weld-nut in there. What grade are these factory bolts (1/2 inch I think) supposed to be? Would a grinder test tell me anything? Should I try and Easy-Out or just weld on another nut? The frame is open from the front, right? I still have the bumper on, another stubborn torx bolt is hanging on for dear life on the bottom...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2002, 08:01 AM

Re: Broke my first bolt - best way to get it out?

My first thought with broken bolts is always heat. If you can get an oxy/acetylene flame on the nut and heat it to a dull red, you're home free. You will need some means to turn it once the nut is hot. Vice-Grips on the exposed broken stub is best. Welding a nut onto the stub is good if there is no exposed stub. An easy-out is for the last resort, IMHO.

The bolt is probably a grade 5.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2002, 08:09 AM
Enthusiast

I usually don't have much luck with easy outs either. If the bolt was tight enough to break, its probably too tight for an easy out. Sometimes I have to drill the old bolt out and either use a new bolt with a nut or tap the hole for a bigger bolt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2002, 08:19 AM

weld a nut to whatever part of the broken bolt you can, then use a wrench on it. usually, the heat from welding will break the rust-bond and you'll be able to get it out.

i had to do this last night. the bolt was broken off flush with the windshield frame (surpise!). i used my Mig and kept piling up wire on the broken bolt until the pile was about 3/16" tall. then i set a 3/8" nut over it and filled the inside of the nut with weld. the bolt came right out.

matt
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2002, 08:34 AM

I'd have to agree with Jim Lou, heat is the way to go. I've found that factory torx bits always seem to strip out or snap off. I haven't had much luck with easy outs on big bolts either. If you have to resort to drilling it out, it would be easier to grind off the weld nut instead then use grade 8 hardware to attach your winch plate. The factory grade 5 isn't bad, but a winch plate takes different stress than just a bumper. You don't want to find out your hardware wasn't strong enough the hard way when your jeep stays put and the winch comes loose.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2002, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Now that's what I was looking for! I was thinking of welding something to it too but of course it always breaks off flush, doesn't it? I can try to build a hump like you said and see if I can weld a nut to that. Another option is if I have enough room inside the frame to screw and weld a nut onto the down hanging stub and get a wrench on it from the bottom. I don't care which way it comes out as long as it does. Geez! So much trouble for a poser winch plate and NO WINCH YET! [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode