OT - Gun Owners should watch Maryland - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

OT - Gun Owners should watch Maryland

Have you heard about the sniper in Maryland? I was listening to NPR tonight and they were interviewing a guy who wants to make gun "fingerprints" of the barrel and hammer marks so that a bullet and shell can be traced to an indiviual weapon.

What is you take on this? Too much info for the feds, or a good idea?

The whole thing in Maryland just took a sad turn with the attack on the student. It was bad before, now its just nuts.

Fritz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 08:16 PM
Official Curmudgeon

Re: OT - Gun Owners should watch Maryland

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
The whole thing in Maryland just took a sad turn with the attack on the student. It was bad before, now its just nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]Last I heard, they weren't related other than maybe a copycat. I don't want to speak out against reporting the news, but a lot of these people get ideas from the news and go out and do the same thing for their "15 minutes of fame". Remember all the child abductions last summer? The school snipers? How about all the shootings/suicides at MacDonalds a few years ago?

One of the speakers on Fox News was encouraging people to help with leads. He said, "Somebody out there has to have noticed a friend or family member acting strange." I'm not sure whether he was a spokesman for the police or was part Fox, he was a retired detective. I'm glad I don't live there, if acting strange becomes a crime, I'm in deep trouble.

What is you take on this? Too much info for the feds, or a good idea?

[/ QUOTE ]Better keep a watch on them like you say in your subject line. The government is getting more communist everyday. They'd love to do an end around your constitutional rights and have storm troopers just bust into your home with no warrant any time they took a notion. They've already got parents voluntarily putting ID chips in their kids teeth on the pretence of identifying them if abducted and a SSN is assigned at birth if mommy and daddy want to take the exemption on their income tax.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 08:21 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

For those of you who don't know already, every gun leaves a unique marking on the bullet AND the shell that is fired out of it. There are already databases with this information in them with the guns that have been pulled off of the street. I have no problem with the government getting the "fingerprint" of each weapon. I don't see how they can use it against a person unless that weapon was used in a crime. The only problem I do see is that it will be impossible to get the markings of every firearm in the country and then to get the markings of every new weapon. Its just not feesable. Its too bad about the killings, but if the government had the ability to track the owner of the weapon by its projectiles then the case may be easier to solve.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 09:20 PM
Veteran

as previously stated casing can be traced to an individual weapon. if a weapon was ever seized and test fired by a law enforcement agency then the "prints" are there, otherwise you have to wait until you find a gun and match. of course if this guy really knew what he were doing he would be using a bolt action and retaining his casings like every good sniper is trained to do. but apparently he is just a sicko who needs to be put down.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Would lapping the barrel affect the fingerprint?

Also, it sounds like this wacko is a good shooter from the relative lack of evidence.

Also how hard would it be to change the casing impression?

Fritz

Boy my typing is aweful tonight. [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 10:05 PM

It is my limited understanding there are some basic things in a firearm that can be used in identification:

1) firing pin to casing. based on the position and indentations.
2) extractor to casing
3) shell to chamber
4) bullet to barrel

A man a long time ago explained to me that any firearm you wished to "disappear" should be parted into at LEAST these basics and disposed of into separate areas.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2002, 04:29 AM
Way Outta Control

Doctors kill and maime over 10 times the number
killed with guns simply by giving the
wrong prescriptions, yet nobody is going after
them.
Food poisoning at restaraunts kills far more than
guns do, are they fingerprinted?

Why? Because they aren't threats to politicians
trying to make slaves out of you!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2002, 08:24 AM
Keyboard Implanted

i thought some states already did this, My brother bought a .454 casull Ruger redhawk, and his came with a spent .454 case that had been fired at the factory in an envelope so you could send it to the police if your state required that.

none of the gun i've bought had this, maybe its just a Ruger thing
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2002, 11:26 AM
Pooh-Bah

Last I heard, they weren't related other than maybe a copycat.

[/ QUOTE ]
According to the Police Chief and the investigators in their press conference, it is from the same gun as the others.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2002, 12:35 PM
Official Curmudgeon

According to the Police Chief and the investigators in their press conference, it is from the same gun as the others.

[/ QUOTE ]As of the time of my post, the Fox News Channel was reporting that it was a different gun and were speculating that maybe the same sniper had changed weapons and MO to throw off the police. Now they are talking as if it is the same shooter. Maybe they just needed to fill air time yesterday. Reminds me of a story ex-President Ronald Reagan told once. Early in his career, he was doing a baseball game radio broadcast from a studio booth. They lost contact with the wire service and they didn't know what was going on in the game. He couldn't just broadcast dead air and he couldn't make up something that would not match the box scores. So, he thought quick and had the batter hitting foul balls. He had him hitting into the stands, line drives down the base line, into the dugout, everywhere, this went on for several minutes. When the wire service was restored he found out the batter popped out on the first pitch.

As to the gun "fingerprints", that changes every time it's fired. Not much, only slightly. Run a few hundred round through it and it's very different. It can also be changed in a few seconds if you know what to do. You can't change the number of rifling or the direction of twist, but that is common to all guns of that particular model and possibly some others. My biggest objection would be to paying the taxes to develop and maintain such a database and the associated errors with it. Last I heard, we've still got taxes paying for storage on gasoline ration tickets printed in the '70s but never used.

Not to make light of the situation in MA, my brother lives in the area, serial killings always remind me of a program I once saw. A guy goes out and starts shooting people at random then he murders his wife in the same manner. With his objective accomplished, he feels comfortable in the fact that his wife's death will be considered as a random serial killing. He neglected to kill anybody AFTER his wife so when the killings stopped the police just concentrated on the last killing and got him. Fiction, but I always wonder if somebody is using that story plot as the recipe for a perfect murder.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode