Need help,Timing or what? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 06:21 PM
jonestown

Need help,Timing or what?

To start rough idle wont stay at 750-800, hesitates upon acceleration bogs down when I let off. Dies when coming to a stop sometimes even after warmed up. Replaced accelerator pump diaphram a little but started again. Here is my dilemma went to time it but the bracket/indicator thingy was cut off and cant find the timing mark on the pully. Tried to power tune/time but I just dont have the ear for it, any suggestions, help. Yes I replaced the plugs wires look good but havent checked distributer etc yet not enough light when I get home. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 07:01 PM

Re: Need help,Timing or what?

You're going to need some timing reference in the future, so you might as well fix it now. Set up a sturdy, permanent pointer on the front of the engine next to the crank pulley. Pull the plugs and, with your thumb in #1 plug hole, crank the engine until you feel compression coming up. Then turn the engine by hand with a socket on the crank pulley. You want to get it up to top dead center. The best way is to stick a dial indicator in the plug hole. Exact TDC is hard to determine accurately. The best method I know is to turn the crank until the piston starts down past TDC and goes down a couple of thousandths. Mark that point on the crank pulley. Then back the crank up past TDC, and turn it forward again until ston is the same number of thousandths down before TDC. Half way between there and the first mark is pretty darn close to TDC. You might want to repeat the process a couple of times to refine your readings. After that, you can get whatever ignition advance you want off any engine with a similar size crank pulley.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 07:17 PM
jonestown

Jim Lou does it sound like timing to you? I'll try what you said half way knew that just hoping for a really cool bona fide trick other than that although that is easy to do.Why are JEEPS is way to us? LOVE'EM THO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 07:28 PM

id try increasing the idle enough to keep it running first of all.

then slightly losten the distributer hold down bolt, just enbough to be able to barely turn it.

crank it, neutral, parking brake, wheels chocked.

move the distributer a littel whichever way makes the idle speed increase.

you shouldnt have to move it much, like half an inch or so tops. ( unless the timing is way off now :it might be!)

then decrease the idle screw a the carb again to get it down around 600=700

and see if it drives better or worse.
if it PINGS, or sounds like its knocking you need to turn the timing back until all the ping is gone, and then a touch more.

try that, if Jim Lou's method doesnt work for you

post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2002, 05:55 AM

Actually it sounds like my '78 on its best day when it was stock. I raised the metering rod one notch, bagged the EGR, and advanced the timing from 2 to 8.

That sounds like a timing problem, but it could also be carburetion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode