How to remove spring eye bolt? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

How to remove spring eye bolt?

The last one is stuck tighter than an impacted molar in a grizzly's jaw. Both the head and thread ends were cut off to get the axel off the Jeep. The spring is still on the axel, which is standing on end on the shop floor.

I have made a 1 1/2" sleeve with a 9/16" hole for the end of the bolt to pass into, if it would ever move. The sleeve is sitting on an anvil and is shimmed up tight under the bushing. I have drilled a 1/2" hole into the inboard end of the bolt about a 1/2" deep. I have made a steel driver that fits into the hole. I have slugged the driver with a 10# sledge until I've worked up a good sweat. The bolt hasn't budged.

It is soaking in penetrant for the night. In the morning I will slug it a few more times with the 10 pounder. If that doesn't get it out, I'll take the spring off the axel and put it in the press. Unless somebody has a better idea.

The attachment is a picture of the setup. Anybody?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 911111-DSCN0860a.JPG (70.3 KB, 64 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 06:24 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: How to remove spring eye bolt?

Drill a bunch of small holes in the bushing, close enough so the bushing has room to compress. Cut one end of the bushing off so the lip is gone. Once the lip is gone. Use a cheap screwdriver (chisel) between the bushing and the spring. Once its free all the way around beat the bushing and bolt out.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 06:37 PM

you might also try threading two nuts on to the bolt and tighten them against each other. take a half inch breaker bar or bigger, and socket of the right size, and try and spin the bolt inside the bushing.. piece of pipe might help... once it spins, you should be able to knock it out of there. the trouble with trying to knock it out with a sledge, is that its mounted in rubber and will just bounce back every time..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 07:12 PM

I drilled a gazillion holes in one, then cut it with a sawzall, then with a bolt and large washer beat the crap out of it.

on teh second one I got smart, and used a torch, and it dropped out in about 13.6 seconds.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 07:21 PM
Keyboard Implanted

tourch it! burn the bushing out!!!!!!! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 08:15 PM

I torch 'em too. Way easier that way-it just stinks.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 08:26 PM

I drilled a bunch of holes in the rubber and punched the center out ,then Had to cut the sleeve with a hack saw
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 08:29 PM

Use a thin grinding disk on an angle grinder to cut both ends of the bushing and bolt inside the perch. Cut in the space between the edges of the spring and the perch. When the spring drops out, you can then use a press. You're done in minutes.

I asked a guy at a spring shop how they remove those friggin bolts after having beat one for hours with a heavy hammer then sledge before cutting the bolt as described above. He told me that the spring hangers are flexible enough that it absorbs hammer blow and the bolt never brakes loose from the inner steel bushing it's rusted to. You need to back up the far side of the hanger and bushing with an anvil or hammer as it sounds like you are.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 08:37 PM

I've tried burning out the bushing, but all that left me with is the same problem I started with, a bolt with a sleeve rusted to it that can't pass thru the opening in the spring perch.

The perch is flexible enough you could grind the head off the bolt and the protruding thread off the other side and pry it open 1/4" and drop the whole thing out.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 10:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

When I put the lift on mine all of the bolts were seized, all 8, that was 90% of the time on the swap. Just take your propance torch and heat up the bishings, not too much as I think you can weaken the springs but enough to then use a screwdriver to remove the bushing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode