May have found a cheap Willys...(UPDATE) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2002, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Old Hand

May have found a cheap Willys...(UPDATE)

A colleague told me today that there is an old boy living two streets away from where I live who has got an old Willys Jeep under a tarpaulin in his front garden and is trying to get rid of it for £400 ($600). Hope to go and knock on his door over the weekend and have a look at it. If possible I'll try and take some pics with the digicam.

I must say that I am sure I have seen him driving it around occasionally, but never knew he lived right under my nose....

As I said, I am not sure what it is exactly as there are quite a few Hotchkiss Jeeps about which were built in France for the French Army in the 60's. He should have the documents so I suppose I'll find out soon enough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2002, 05:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: May have found a cheap Willys...

There is no such thing as a "Cheap Willys". That thing is only going to cost you a bunch of dough. Now that you mention it, sounds like my kids. They seemed cheap enough when I first got them too!

Don't let it get away from you. It needs a good home and TLC.

Kriss
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2002, 03:31 AM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Well, I meant cheap to pick up. Never said cheap to keep and maintain..... I know better than that, especially in Great Britain [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] Still, it would look cool on my drive though [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] although my girlfriend prolly doesn't share this opinion [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2002, 08:19 AM

Go get it. I want pics. And $600??????? Man you make me <font color="green">SICK</font color>. [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2002, 10:43 AM

A buddy of mine got his '48 CJ2A for $500 [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]. I ran a few times, but is now waiting for a Chevy 4.3.
Way cool on the find, I'm looking for pix.... [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2002, 12:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hooch-

I just wanted to let you know that my hat is off to you for jeep'n in Britain. I know the cost of parts is high (they are high in the states so yours have to be real high) and the price of petrol is higher. Good luck on your project if it all works out. Post some pictures.

Kriss
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2002, 01:06 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I know where a really nice flat fender body is, sitting on blocks. No frame or motor. The guy don't want to sell it because he is gonna "fix it up someday"...yeah, right! Its been sitting in the same spot for at least 5 years. Its behind a building and it is so grown up around it you can only see one front fender now. Maybe its about time to hit him up again. [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2002, 05:35 AM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Well, it is not a Willys but a 1945 Ford GPW. Just a little teaser as I haven't got much time at the moment. Will post some more later.....

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 902426-Fordgpw.jpg (67.1 KB, 1 views)
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2002, 01:36 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

I'm sure I'll start a debate here, but isn't a Ford GPW still considered a Jeep? They look almost exactly alike from the outside, they use all of the same parts, and Ford produced them for Willys during WW2. I also learned that during wartime when the mechanical work was done that Willys parts may have been put into a Ford and vice versa. So maybe you've got a Willys engine on a Ford frame and body? Since it will need a lot of repair work you can end up making it into a Willys and very few people would know the difference. If I had the money and time, I would be buying that thing.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2002, 01:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You must buy it now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode